Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Piebald Doe

Old 10-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Piebald Doe

I saw a mature piebald doe for the second time tonight while driving by the property I hunt! She has awesome markings. I hope to see her again when I'm actually hunting......Jim
Old 10-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Piebald Doe

Good luck finding it,I only ever had the chance to hunt one in my life. A truck got oit
Old 10-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Jim...

They are a sight to see...I took a 4pt piebald about 8 years ago bowhunting. I thought it was a springer spaniel and then a goat,,,till I saw the antlers!!!

Tanned the hide on this one.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are awesome to use a term from Jay Gregory.[&:] Several years ago I hunted a 2.5 yr old piebald doe almost exclusively. I had passed up some decent bucks to get a chance at her too. I had her as close as 50 yards on 5 occassions but she always appeared out of no where which was amazing considering as much white as she had. She was like a ghost and always won. The first time I saw her, like above I thought now dang it, whose dog is loose out here and then I realized she was with other deer....lol I never saw her after that archery season.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Six years ago a guy on our farm took a nice "basket rack" 10 pnt Piebald on opening day. It was a blotchy 3 tone brown and white. It did look like 3/4 goat/deer. I've got pictures but don't know how to post??

Anyway - the guy called F&W to get the low down on these animals. As I remember he was told very few exist as both male and female must have gene that produces Piebald traits. Many only live in marshy/low land areas as we saw evidence of hooves, "spread out",marsh mud on belly,legs on our Piebald.

4 months later I saw another Piebald buck about 3 miles away(alive). Haven't seen one since.

This past Spring I found dead BB Piebald dumped in woods about 100 yrds from entrance to our farm(out of season). Some slob shot him and dumped him.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:06 AM

Many only live in marshy/low land areas as we saw evidence of hooves, "spread out",marsh mud on belly,legs on our Piebald.
IMO, they live in those areas cause they know they can be seen/spotted easily and opt to stay in heavy cover
i have pics of a 100% whitey...gotta find them and i will post...saw her on the way to work for a few days a few years back.