Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Yellow Envelope $1.50 >

Yellow Envelope $1.50

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Yellow Envelope $1.50

Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Yellow Envelope $1.50

Hey guys, I was up at camp today just cutting the grass and made a run to the hardware store to pick up a few things, in the process I realized I needed a yellow envelope for mailing this saturday. After putting my items on my credit card and gettin a yellow envelope from the lady at the cashier I thought nothing of lookin at the receipt. Then when I got home tonight I saw she charged me 1.50 for the yellow envelope. I was just wondering what you guys thought of that? I don't know if it is illegal or what.
P.S. My check still hasn't cleared from the first round, and I am starting to get worried, everything that I could have forgot is now floating through my head. Remember guys to send your new ones out Saturday.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Yellow Envelope $1.50

Never heard of anyone charging for the envelopes. Go back and ask "why?".
Old 08-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I bought my license at WalMart,they gave me 4 envelopes.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope you got 4 stamps with that envelope.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been charged for the envelopes. Actually, I've always been under the impression that all licensing agents had to supply them to any hunter that asks, free of charge. I've gotten the envelopes at many different places over the years(obviously the pink ones come into play here) and I've never been asked to pay for it. I'd call your regional PGC office and get the scoop.....then go back and ask why....then demand a refund![:@]
Old 08-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never been charged either. I think I would head back to the store and confront her. That's a nice way to lose customers.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:09 AM

I hope not to take a side in the issue but to look at it from both sides.

I have no local gunshop that will sell licenses anymore. They will tell you openly they do not need the poor treatment from our state commission or its high fee's. I have to drive another 20 miles to find a store that will sell and its a walmart. They can afford the bonding, and the fees that the PGC charges, but a lot of little guys cannot.

Is it right to charge a $1 or $1.50 for the extra envelopes? I don't know. But I know when a shop runs out of licenses it costs them $500 and a half a day's time to pick up additional licenses (on top of the other fees) so for the shop to recoup some money might not be legal, might not be kosher, might not be good, might not be allowed.......but I sure can see why they would attempt to get something out of selling licenses besides hassles and fees.

Last season guys complained loudly that some stores were out of yellow envelopes, and they could not properly apply in the second round. Seems like charging a $1 might be a good thing to limit people from taking several "just in case". Thus a little moderation in the control of them. The PGC was not keeping the stores stocked with enough last year.

Be glad you have a store in your area willing to deal with the bureaucracy of the commission, maybe you don't want to pay and that is your perogative.....so you can drive another 20 miles to get a free one.

If my friend who used to own a small store is correct, he never made any money off selling licenses, not even in additional sales while a guy came in and bought one and then picked up some ammo. When he stopped selling licenses his revenue did not change. A lot only do it as a service, they take thier own time to fill them out when they could be doing other things....

Just trying to offer that perspective.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I too can see both sides of the fence. I just didn't know if anyone else had seen that before. I am not the type of person to go complain about it or demand my 1.50 back from the store. I was just suprised to see it on my credit card receipt.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally if I owned a sporting goods store, chances are I would still carry them regardless of the $500. It's not that you are going to make a killing off of selling them (I think they make $.50 per) but those people that come in for liscenses are going to be spending more of their money on other supplies so the stores will actually bring in more money that way.