Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Point, NY

Old 07-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Default West Point, NY

Anyone know where I can get any information on hunting West Point???
Old 07-06-2004, 07:07 AM

Default RE: West Point, NY

from the dec or from west point it self iam from down that way orig. and know there is some good hunting there. just call the west point mp or pub realtions they should get you to the right folk
Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a link to West point hunting;
http://www.usma.army.mil/dcfa/activi...or/hunting.htm

In summary
If you are not in the military you can deer hunt on West Point property only if you have a doe tag for that deer management unit. You will have to get a West Point permit that costs about $10 and you MUST fill your doe tag first. After you check in your doe, they will issue a buck pass that will allow you to fill your N.Y. state buck tag on their land.
You have to sign in and out each day. The first week of gun season the military gets to sign in before dawn but the civilians have to wait until about 7am.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info. looking forward to bow hunting the area. However, this signing in and out sounds like a pain. Do you have to be out of the woods by dark and do they bust chops over there??
Old 07-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have not bow hunted at West Point so you should check the rules for that season.
As far as the checking/out rules. During the gun season you had to sign in (returning - when you are done hunting) no later than about 17:30 (5:30pm). They post the sign in time each day based on about 1 hour past sundown.
They told me if you can't get the deer out and to the check station by sign in time , you should leave the deer and go and sign in and explain to the MP's that you need to go back and get your deer. The problem with that is you have to return the next day to have your deer checked in.
If you are late(after sign in time) returning to the range control station, they will send out MP's to look for you.