Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 The Countdown Continues! >

The Countdown Continues!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Countdown Continues!

Old 07-21-2004, 12:20 AM

Default RE: The Countdown Continues!

de hunter, i just looked at an overhead of the area. is it fairly developed?? looked like it. close to the pa border...looks really nice. crops, water, and i am sure there are some fruit trees here and there. i am in thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Lemond33,
the property around the 4 areas of the park that are open to hunting are fairly developed. I tend to favor the stand sites that are off the beeten path. All of the letter stands (archery only) are very good. The maps on the web of the 4 areas don't clearly show the walking/bike paths. Some of the stands are to close to these main trails for me. I hate watching joggers and people running with their dogs just after sunrise. In some areas they come and go all day. The Judge Morris track is the worst for this. However the hunting areas are closed to the public during shotgun season and JM is only open during the January season. This is a great draw if you can get in there.

I tend to spend my time in the preserve section and some of the Carpenter section. Possum hill is not bad, most of the stands are far enough off the main trails but you have to like walking!

Here's your WCC tip of the day. Print a copy of the maps from the park website now. They will be updating them soon for the upcoming season. Any new area open to hunting or any stand that has been slightly re-located is a "best bet". Compare the current map with the new one to find which ones where moved. I mentioned earlier that I saw two good bucks on a morning hunt. The stand I was hunting was relocated 75yds from it old position just over a slight rise on a ridge. I'll plan on spending more time in that area this year!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 PM

de hunter, how r u?? i looked over the maps again and i have to say, they look pretty good. aside from the stands being a little close, i like the set-up. i archery hunt only...mathews blk max, acc's, trophy ridge sight, and of course...muzzy's deadly set-up i will have to scout the area out and i will look at the areas that u sent. how is it hunting during archery season?? iwould imagine that everyone is out there in the beginning and then they vanish a little. let me know if u are scouting the area and what u r seeing and i will do the same. i will take my dig camera when i go and snap a few pics if the opp presents itself. thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:09 PM

I think we are going to have a good year in my area of southern indiana. i have seen more deer already this year than any other year, and i cant believe all the HUGE bucks that are begining to pop up, I CANT WAIT!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:34 AM

Just got back from the first scouting trip of the season. Threw out some corn and hung the Trail Cam at the leased place. Didnt see any deer this morning but there is some nice sign around. The leased place has been planted in Bean this year. A heck of alot better than the weed field I had last year. Its pretty tall too. It should really help keep the deer in the area.

Then I headed over to the public land and checked out a few stands. I may make some early trips out the next few weekends to see what I can see. I always check the stands first before heading out in the dark. Wouldnt want to climb into a Wasp Nest []

Replaced the Vitals in my deer target yesterday and shot about 20 arrows. Hit the vitals with every shot at 25yds. Really starting to get the itch now! Bring on 9/1!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scott did you checck out the Ennis farm?
Old 07-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Scott did you checck out the Ennis farm?
Yep, thats where I was poking around. There's alot of water in the woods and the sign isnt quite as thick as it was last year, but enough to keep it interesting. I think the fact that the area is QDM this year will keep the weekend warriors away. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:06 PM

hey guys. i do not want the NJ boards to get to far ahead of us. i work in NJ and have the chance to hunt alot of places. i never have the time and i love hunting DE. mayb this year i will hunt one of the farms in south jersey that i have permission to hunt. who knows

how are the acorns this year???