Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 The Countdown Continues! >

The Countdown Continues!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Countdown Continues!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Default RE: The Countdown Continues!

ron, thanks for the info. am i right about the following. i can hunt in lums pond from any tree within the areas listed as long as i am not damaging them??? no permit is needed??? i have a park permit. when you say problem, do u mean that there are alot of deer in the park??? or..do they want no deer in the park. i am lums everyday and i have only seen 1 deer

thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lemond there are going to be some rules changes this year on stands and movement within the park system , I dont think all is finalized just yet, I"ll get back to you on that. What I mean is there are a lot of deer in the parks , no they are trying to readicate them , just get them down to sustainable size herds,, neighbors complaining about flora damage, etc.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Supposed to read not trying to eradicate the herd
Old 07-16-2004, 10:23 AM

Ron M,
I am a NCC res. and do most of my hunting in WCC. If you have any info about reg changes or can point me in the direction of where info might be regarding new regs I would be most greatful!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 PM

de hunter, how is the hunting in wcc??? is there room for archery and are the deer visible during shooting hours?? what quality of animals do u c?>

thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 AM

Lemond33,
There are lots of deer in WCC St. park. I would rate the deer quality as Good. Most mature does (3 yrs +) run about 95 to 120 lbs. Bucks tend to be in the 100 to 130 lb range. Again these are the mature deer, there are lots of 75 to 90 pound does and spikes running around. Each year there are mabey 3 or 4 good bucks taken. Good for WCC is 120 to 130 class. The biggest I have personally ever saw was a teen who shot a 130+ buck in January (shot gun). I couldnt believe how big it was. I would'nt have thought the park held deer that big. I guess there are a few really big ones in the park too.

I feel at this point I must qualify my experiance in judging antler size, very little. I'm saying 3 or 4 bucks taken at this park each year are comparable to deer that you would expect to see on a hunting show on TV. I believe I'm better at guessing weight! At least better than I am at spelling.

I took 2 deer from the park last year (1 archery and 1 shot gun)and saw lots more. One morning during bow season, I saw two great bucks. One snuck up on me before I saw it and I missed the second.

The only problem with the park is it is heavely regulated!!!! The season is short, there are lots of rules, and you must hunt within specific areas. This very much limits any chance of what I call real hunting (being able to scout for sign, food, bedding, etc.) You pretty much have to hunt from a stand site. However for bow hunting you are allowed to use climbers. The three weeks of gun hunting are even more strict with regulations.

Regardless it's a beautiful park, a well run program and lots of deer!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:11 PM

de hunter..thanks...how do i get in to hunt wcc?? do i have to apply??
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM

de hunter..i just looked at the maps of the park. looks like the water sources and crops are the deal....what crops are in the park. bean and corn?? i have never seen anything quite like it. i can bring my own stand for archery??? i have the lone wolf alpha system. great for hit and go hunting
Old 07-20-2004, 09:55 AM

Lemond33,
It will be great to have you hunt WCC! All that you have to do to archery hunt is stop by the park office and register. You can call for their hours 302-368-6900. Registration usually begins after labor day. If you've looked at the maps on the web you can see what the season dates are again these will be updated after the laborday holiday. I;m hoping they open more of the park to hunting, we'll have to wait and see.

Historicaly the park has 4 weeks of archery begining sometime in October. The first week and each weekend are lottery, after the first week Monday - Friday is first come fist pick!!! (There are 2 or 3 retired guys that get there about 3 AM to reserve a stand... although plenty to pick from) After the first week, you can get a stand just about any day. During archery you can harvest a buck or doe. Yes you can use a non-damaging climber (your Loan wolf will be fine) or you may hunt from the state stands. There are two areas of the park that are "Archery only", you must have a climber. These areas are marked with a yellow 4X4 post. It's a good idea to get familliar with the stand sites prior to opening day. Some can be hard to locate by flashlight if your new to the park.

Registration for shotgun hunting can be done right from the DE hunting guide or on line. The one requirement is that you must first harvest a doe before you can shoot a buck. Lot's of guy's get their doe during archery season. Don't let this get out but it's very easy to get selected for this Park. As a matter of fact even if you dont have a reservation for a specific day all remaining stands are given out on a daily lottery. Very few get turned away. I like to put in for a stand in January and get in the lottery for the earlier Nov & Dec season. You'll have to let me know when you plan on hunting, it would be great to meet you.

I almost forgot, the crops are usually a mix of corn and beans depending on which tract of land.

T
Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 PM

de hunter..thanks for all of the info...this sounds like a nice park to hunt. i will give it a shot and i will scout it b4 the season. with the crops in the park, why are they having a problem with the deer. i saw a program on tv and they were saying that there were to many deer in the park. they showed the deer coming out in daylight hours like there was nothing to it. good for me i guess. let me know where the best area is for high populations of deer...thanks again.

leMond

Quick Reply: The Countdown Continues!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.