Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall >

PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Default RE: PA may get to hunt 2nd turkey in spring/fall

Why should anyone be offended Pat? Personally, I don't agree with you, but not offended.

I think it should pass, not because I know enough about our turkey population to set limits, but because I feel those decisions should be in the hands of the PGC, not our Legislature. Even if I opposed it like you do, I'd feel that way.

While we can sit and debate many of the management decisions made by the PGC, the problems we each may have with their decisions pale in comparison to the problems cropping up in many other states where politicians get involved. Folks that live upstate may not realize it but our demographics are very similar to many of those states where game management decisions are being influenced by non-hunters and the emotional, non-factual appeals of anti-hunting or animal rights organizations to people who know nothing about game management or animal husbandry. Over 40% of our population lives in the currently defined SRA's and there are a couple more counties that will probably be added in the near future pushing that number to well over 50%. At least one county in the far NE is now considered part of the Greater New York City Metropolitan Area and there's serious discussion about a commuter train line into the Poconos to turn it into an even larger bedroom community for N. NJ and NYC.

Personally, I think removing as much political control as possible from game management decisions is one of the most important steps in preserving the future of hunting in PA, that the less temptation our Legislators have to interfere, the better we will be able preserve sound scientific game management as the basis for setting seasons and limits for future generations.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with rybohunter.I'm all for a 2 tag fall season where one of them HAS to be a hen.I'm not in favor of a 2 bird limit in the Spring for the reasons Pat stated.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:44 PM

i have heard that the second turkey tag is going to set you back 20 bucks!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Ruffed grouse I understand what you are saying and Yes I agree with it being taken out of the politicians hands, maybe I didn't state it properly, the person that is psuhing for the two tags is a Politician, I will try to find out his name and I know he is a north eastern PA rep just don't remember where exactly he is from. Jalvja I agree if it does pass it should be a fall tag and one should have to be a hen.