Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 crossbow help in new york >

crossbow help in new york

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbow help in new york

Old 04-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: crossbow help in new york

But you want to use a crossbow and hunt during bow season? The Crossbows of today are kinda high tech don't you think? You'll still have to judge distance same as a bow and in all honesty a bow is more accuarate.

Why didn't you get a range finder or just mark distances around you treestand?

I have a great respect for the true primitive weapons hunters
Flintlocks and recurves and longbows?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I grew up admirering Fred Bear and my childhood hero was Davy Crockett, so I have always had a fondness for the long bow and flintlock.
I started bow hunting in 1978 when compound bows were just starting out. Over the years I just refused to buy a new bow. I developed some poor shooting habits and I'm too stubborn to correct it now.
I just assumed that a crossbow was more accurate and eaiser to hit what you aim at.
I have never shot one, so I could be wrong.
As far as marking distances, when ever I did that, I wouldn't see deer that day. When I got lazy and didn't mark the area, then I would see a deer.
Murphy's law has been proven to be true when it comes to bow hunting for me.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:47 AM

Warren- Just curious, how long did you bowhunt for?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

osiris;
I started bow hunting in 1978 and the last time I took a bow out was when my son was 16, so that would be 1996.
In all that time I hit 1 - 4pointer but he got away, and took 1 doe (lucky shot).
I've taken more deer in one season with a handgun.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:40 PM

Charlie P, Actually I refering to regular rifles (30-06...). I like the challlenge of shorter range shotguns and inlines, but I don't know many guys that would not like to trade in the gauge for a caliber. Even the best inline carries only to about 200 yds easy distance for a 30-06.

To clarify my stance, I don't believe crossbows should be used during early archery. But as far as range and ballistics a crossbow is comparable to a handgun cartridge. Allowing crossbows during gun and late season would have little to no effect on other hunters.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

but I don't know many guys that would not like to trade in the gauge for a caliber
I woudn't want to hunt with a rifle.Spent as much time during last regular season hunting with my bow as I did with a shotgun. If they ok'd rifles where I hunt in Vestal it would be great for bow hunting because many of the landowners would not allow rifles on their properties.Our town has already past a 1,000 ft law.Vestal is on the list to stay shotgun which is for the best.

Where I hunt in Windsor a rifle would be ok.

I have to chuckle when you mention shorter ranges of 200 yards. I guess I'm just an in-close type of guy. Whacking an animal at long distances doesn't get my heart beating. Nothing wrong with it just doesn't interest me.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:36 AM

I agree that the southern zone should stay rifle free. As I said I enjoy the challenge of the shorter range. I also enjoy the challenge of working with a weapon to get the best out of it you can such as 200yds. I too spent much more time with my bow than with my shotgun/muzzleloader. I prefer archery too gun. Its quiet and peaceful. It is very challenging.
I guess mainly I enjoy all aspects of hunting whitetail, I will use every weapon I legally can and that I have the time to practice with. Soon I hope to switch from compound to traditional, but I have to improve my skills first ( another year or two).
Old 04-18-2004, 06:06 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Some one posted that crossbows are high tech, yeah but have you looked at your compound lately,triggers ,wheels, all those crazy sights, stabalizers, scopes, lazer sights now tell me whos high tech. Charlie P. you say your against xbows, give it a few more years when your bones say enough- tell me then. I have a funny feeling you've been listening to a lot of bs about the crossbow. If any one would like a couple of article about crossbow vs. compound let me know. On my other post do you really want shotguns in the woods during RUT time. Let us find another time of the year to break in or youth, which we need to keep our favorite pass time going. rich good hunting
Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

RWK, you have really got me confused on this issue. You write in a post that you support all bowhunters no matter the weapon. The crossbow is NOT bowhunting. Studies have been conducted in NYS that show the majority of hunters are against legalizing the crossbow during archery seasons. Your own post shows that the majority of repliers are not for the crossbow in archery season for one & all. Though, most would support it for handicapped individuals. S1333 is not about legalizing the crossbow for just the handicapped, but yet you ask for support of this bill. So it seems to me your asking to NOT support the majority on this issue.
Lets look at the past on the crossbow issue. Not 1 bill in the past several yrs in the senate or assembly other then the present A9746, has been strictly about legalizing the crossbow for more handicapped individuals. Past bills have been attempts in various ways to legalize the crossbow into NYS hunting seasons. Nor has the crossbow manufacturers or supporters attempted to introduce a bill, or legislation to legalize the crossbow in its own separate season. Its always been about NY archery seasons. That alone tells me its not just about the hunters. Its not about our own traditions, and ethics. Its about personal selfish gains. Please explain to me how the introduction of the crossbow is going to be a benefit to NYS hunters?
Its been mentioned we need to unite, and hunters should be allowed weapon of choice. But yet some seem to fail to realize we have limits, and regulations for a reason. We certainly can't have a open "free for all", heck use whatever weapon you like throughout the whole season! So now we want to introduce a weapon into archery seasons that completely goes against the whole concept of having an archery season to begin with.
RWK I also question your support, because of your comments about NY Bowhunters. That organization has done wonders for the sport of archery. They certainly don't own the months of Oct. & Nov. They are not fully against other weapons of choice by hunters, they simply don't want superior weapons in archery season. That technically is no different than any other large hunting organization. The NWTF certainly wouldn't support rifles being used in turkey season now would they. By making those comments of NYB I fail to see support of bowhunters, the largest organization of Bowhunters in NYS!! I imagine it'd also be correct that you've never actually tried to contact NYB and their Physically challenged commitee for support of your own difficulties. With your permission I'd like to make a phone call to a NYB rep. for you. I'd like to see if that organization can help you in anyway. Feel free to e-mail personally.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

RWK, I never said I'm against crossbows. I'm against the bill because it doesn't specify the a disabilty you'll need to get a special permit to use one. As far as my bones go I've had four major back surgeries and will need another fusion in the future.I'm only 41 started with surgeries almost 12 years ago I live in chronic pain.

I have a bad left shoulder,i can no longer lift a couple of pounds the arms that bad, a cut up right fore arm were they took out a artery for my triple bypass, and a couple of more surgeries (major) in the last few years Explain to me how you'll even be able to use a crossbow with the ailments you have? Crossbows weigh more then a compound.

I have a funny feeling you've been listening to a lot of bs about the crossbow.
Your feelings wrong I know people that use them in other states. I've read many articles about them. I've seen comparisions on their abilities compared to compounds.

RWK, Do you have anything to do wuith the crossbow industry in anyway?
I asked this on the first page you never replied.

On my other post do you really want shotguns in the woods during RUT time
.If they lowered the hunting age it wouldn't bother me.I'll still kill deer. How many kids State wide would participate in this hunt?

Quick Reply: crossbow help in new york

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.