HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - crossbow help in new york
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbow help in new york

RWK, you have really got me confused on this issue. You write in a post that you support all bowhunters no matter the weapon. The crossbow is NOT bowhunting. Studies have been conducted in NYS that show the majority of hunters are against legalizing the crossbow during archery seasons. Your own post shows that the majority of repliers are not for the crossbow in archery season for one & all. Though, most would support it for handicapped individuals. S1333 is not about legalizing the crossbow for just the handicapped, but yet you ask for support of this bill. So it seems to me your asking to NOT support the majority on this issue.
Lets look at the past on the crossbow issue. Not 1 bill in the past several yrs in the senate or assembly other then the present A9746, has been strictly about legalizing the crossbow for more handicapped individuals. Past bills have been attempts in various ways to legalize the crossbow into NYS hunting seasons. Nor has the crossbow manufacturers or supporters attempted to introduce a bill, or legislation to legalize the crossbow in its own separate season. Its always been about NY archery seasons. That alone tells me its not just about the hunters. Its not about our own traditions, and ethics. Its about personal selfish gains. Please explain to me how the introduction of the crossbow is going to be a benefit to NYS hunters?
Its been mentioned we need to unite, and hunters should be allowed weapon of choice. But yet some seem to fail to realize we have limits, and regulations for a reason. We certainly can't have a open "free for all", heck use whatever weapon you like throughout the whole season! So now we want to introduce a weapon into archery seasons that completely goes against the whole concept of having an archery season to begin with.
RWK I also question your support, because of your comments about NY Bowhunters. That organization has done wonders for the sport of archery. They certainly don't own the months of Oct. & Nov. They are not fully against other weapons of choice by hunters, they simply don't want superior weapons in archery season. That technically is no different than any other large hunting organization. The NWTF certainly wouldn't support rifles being used in turkey season now would they. By making those comments of NYB I fail to see support of bowhunters, the largest organization of Bowhunters in NYS!! I imagine it'd also be correct that you've never actually tried to contact NYB and their Physically challenged commitee for support of your own difficulties. With your permission I'd like to make a phone call to a NYB rep. for you. I'd like to see if that organization can help you in anyway. Feel free to e-mail personally.