Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
WV deer hunters... >

WV deer hunters...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV deer hunters...

Old 01-05-2002, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV deer hunters...

Did you guys see a lot of deer this year? Just wondering...I've been talking to other folks who had the same experience that we did. We just didn't see as many deer as normal.

I'm not complaining...I actually like it, because the bucks we did kill were pretty big! I was just wondering if others were seeing less deer also.

I'm hunting in Braxton county.

GOOD HUNTING!
Old 01-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WV deer hunters...

id have to agree that less deer were spotted this year than last but...due to the hot weather and the droughtlike conditions that existed in hampshire co. we feel that played a role in the sightings...most did bag 1 or 2 but had to hunt much harder than last year for them...and i did bag a nice 8 pointer
Old 01-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live and hunt in mercer co I did take a spike with my bow but I didnt see many deer at all in fact at one place where I hunt and usually take a doe for me and one for the land owner I only saw 1 deer.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:18 PM

This year was a good year for me. I saw 23 deer by 10:30 the first day. Let small bucks go. Was able to kill a nice 8pt. by mid week.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

.I hunt 17 miles north of charleston wva,i did not see as many as last year,but they are out there,after season seen tons of them.....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I saw more bucks during the last week of archery season then before. At one time I had 4 young bucks all within bow range. But after that warm spell came thru I didnt see much of anything. The last day of doe season (the only day I hunted) I saw 4 bucks, 1 8pt, 2 6pt and 1 4pt. I also saw another nice 8 during late bow season. Next year there will be some big ones running around. By the way I hunt up in wetzal county/marshall county line.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Might check with some of the locals and see if there was a die-off. We have experienced die-offs in the Gilmer/Doddridge county area going back to early 80's. Probable cause is Epizootic Hemhoraghic disease, or blue tongue. Either case, the population is reduced dramatically. The DNR will not acknowledge them, although when you talk to some of the conservation officers they will tell you about huge die-offs.