Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA hunters- is it legal....... >

PA hunters- is it legal.......

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA hunters- is it legal.......

Old 11-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Default PA hunters- is it legal.......

is it legal to cape and quarter a deer in the brush and pack it out. i hunt in a state forest, depending where i' m hunting could be 5-7 mile to my truck. my friend and i killed several deer in archery seasons past which we used to use a tree limb to transport our harvest out. but i lost his friendship for reasons unknown to me. and i' m to cheap to buy a deer wagon or what ever they are called? can anyone help
Old 11-25-2003, 06:04 PM

Default RE: PA hunters- is it legal.......

i think that as long as you have the head and the corresponding tags, its legal.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it is legal , as long as u have the animal properly tagged.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as the animal is properly tagged, I can see no reason why you could not quarter it first.

A quick call to the game commission would tell you for sure.

A question for you......why not just park closer to where you will be hunting?

There is no place in Pa without an easily accessable road within half of that distance!(5-7 miles)
Old 11-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Country, Allegheny national forest has areas like this... It' s rare, but it does happen. I guess some believe the deeper you get the better, but I hey, my butt isn' t in that good of shape! []

Good luck,
-BJ
Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that in order to transport a deer it has to have all of it' s identifiable parts and the coresponding tag. If it' s a buck his 2 boys better still be attached if his head has been removed.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:03 PM

big country- the statement you made about there is know where in Pa that you have to walk 5-7 miles is a untrue statement i hunt in weiser state forest near Pottsville. Pa which is surrounded by private land owners, the Schuylkill Co. municipal authority is one of those which they allow you to walk in only from the front gate off of 901 east there is a road(which starts at the second locked gate) that turns into a path that will come out to rt 147 this is a total of 15 miles. to the north and to the south is posted private property. i asked DEP in Cressona, Pa and they told me the same thing i' m trying to explain to you. so if you know of a better way into where i have been hunting for 13 yrs let myself and DEP know.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:36 PM

wulff,
I am almost 100% it is legal to pack out your deer as long as you have it properly tagged. Big Country. If you get up into central/north central PA they are PLENTY of places you can go back 5-7 miles and never see a road. Now do you need to go that far, no, but if youre willing it can pay off. I saw 3 monsters(8pointers w/atleast 18inch spreads) come out of sproud state forest on the last saturday and all three guys went in deep.