Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in pa >

mountain lions in pa

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in pa

Old 11-25-2003, 07:13 AM

Default RE: mountain lions in pa

Most of the sightings in MD are close to the border with PA. The MD DNR has examined 3 different home videos that are definitely cougars and are proven to be taken in MD. One of the videos has been on MD public TV several times.

Ater viewing the videos the MD DNR has the stance that the eastern cougar is extinct in MD and if you shoot one that is non existent you are in big trouble.

Most people think that the eastern cougars that keep being sighted are captive cougars that have escaped and can easily live off deer turkeys ducks geese and domestic animals. Even captive cougars that have escaped and were declawed have survived in the wild and were in good shape when they were recovered.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I live in WV and the Dept. of Natural Resources will tell you we dont have any big cats here in WV. I have hunted here all of my life and I saw my first big cat a couple of months ago in Boone county.

Someone said urban legend........... Let me tell you that is the first walking urban legend I have ever seen
Old 11-25-2003, 06:05 PM

lets put it this way, there are many people who have never seen a bear, bobcat or even a coyote in the wild. if mountain lions are as elusive as the experts say they are, there may very well be a small population of mountain lions living in pennsylvania. there are a lot of woods out there, many acres of uninhabited land, i believe there are mountain lions in pennsylvania
Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

How ironic is it that I started this post and we have recently had NUMEROUS mountain lion sightings right here by my house that have actually made the local news. I work in the area and have spoken to at least 15 people who have all seen this lion either crossing the road or on their property. Now I don' t know about you but how can you tell 15 different people who have seen the cat right in front of them that they all have no idea what they are talking about. Well, that' s exactly what the game commission did. They didn' t even want to look for evidence. They blew it off and told them it was a bobcat or coyote. Typical. I guess I keep forgetting we have that special breed of bobcat that is 5 times larger with a 4 foot tail. And a special coyote that is 2 times bigger with no muzzle and really really short hair. I just wonder how long the pgc is going to keep thinking we' re a bunch of idiots. I know it' s easy for them to tell those who have never seen one in the wild that they are not there. I mean they have no ground to argue on and nothing to prove otherwise. But for them to lie right to our face after we have seen one and after we have offered them tracks and a fresh kill. I think that is just blatant disrespect for our intelligence.

By the way here is the link to the news story.

http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/2574295/detail.html
Old 11-26-2003, 12:04 PM

I guess you could shoot it and drag it in their office [] They would probably still deny it, suggesting maybe you went out west and shot it and drug it back here.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Centre county, not far from Clinton county and Beach Creek mountian. If I talk to my uncle over the holidays, I' ll ask him for the pictures he took of one on Beech Creek mountain. They are here folks. I also have heard from a couple different sources that the game commission has plans to distribute a few of these cats throughout the state. Now, I' m not sure how true this is, so don' t take that too seriously.

But it kinda makes you wonder what the game commission is doing we may not know about. My father is a truck driver and one of the guys he used to drive with was hauling what he though was cattle from out of state a few years back. It turned out, he was actually delivering a truck full of Coyotes for a stocking program. Ever heard of this? I didn' t.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:40 AM

I work with a guy that lives up along Rt 118 just west of Ricketts Glen State Park. He actually talked to a truck driver that transported two mountain lions from out west. I repeat, he was talking to the truck driver and asked him what he was hauling and he replied " two mountain lions" . They (PGC) released them in the state game lands. I also, have another friend that seen one cross the road in front of his truck near Millville. I have heard of many sightings around Benton/ Millville/ Rt. 118. I have alot of friends in those parts.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey CBLewis. We' re on top of Red Rock, just west of Ricketts Glen. That would be putting these things right in our area. I did find a deer carcass that was buried under a bunch of sticks a few years back. I was thinking bear but who knows. The people that used to run Good' s Camp Grounds used to always tell me about the lions on top of the mountain.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I seen one sitting on a rock with his tail waving around up by his head. I backed up to get a better look and he was gone. This was about 12 yrs ago in the lackawaxen area ..Bill
Old 11-30-2003, 02:39 AM

BarnesX, My buddy lives there by Grassmere Park. The truck stopped there for some reason, can' t remember whether he broke down or just stopped. My buddy was just BSing with him when he asked him what he was hauling and the driver actually told him that the Game Commision bought or traded these mountain lions. There was two in the trailer at that time. I don' t know if the GC has done this in other areas or not but they definitely did it up there. It' s amazing that our Game Commission will just flat out lie to people when confronted.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.