Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in pa >

mountain lions in pa

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in pa

Old 11-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mountain lions in pa

Welcome to the site BCE.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve seen bobcats! (but thats not the same thing)

Interesting topic.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

This topic could go on for ages. It is devided down the middle. Those that have seen and believe and those that haven' t and don' t. Everyone talks about shooting one and, why don' t we see one with all of the hunters. This one isn' t that hard to explain. There aren' t that many in the state, and they are alot better at seeing you and running then you are at seeing them. Also, as far as killing livestock, how many farmers are qualified enough to look at a carcass and say " well that was definately a lion" . No, they say those damn coyotes. Think of it this way, 1% of all those that hunt bear actually harvest one. That isn' t too high. Now try to imagine someone shooting an animal they aren' t looking for, with a much smaller population, and is FAR more elusive. Heck even in the most heavily lion populated areas of the country they need dogs to find and tree the cats. Both sides of this argument have good points, and I don' t know which side I would have been on had I not seen one with my own eyes. I guess it is going to take someone to kill one to prove their existance. But then we will get the same replies, It was someones pet, it had to be. I was also wondering what the fine would be for shooting a lion. You know they aren' t going to let you get off scott free on that one. I am pretty sure that any large animal that doesn' t have regulations in the pgc handbook are protected? Who knows, only time will tell.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:19 AM

[X(]How could they (PGC) fine you for killing something that they say doesn' t exist?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is actually an organized group up around Red Rock Mountain (Sullivan/Luzerne/Columbia Counties) that keep records of sightings. More people than you think have seen them. Many moons ago, the people that ran the old bait store (now Good' s Campgrounds on Rt 118) swore there were mountain lions on the mountain. We thought they were full of beans. We' re not so sure they were lying now.....

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also - a taxidermist in the area said he saw film footage of mountain lion kits in their den. This was taken in central PA (I think).

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The MD DNR is keeping track of the sightings in Western Maryland. There are leaflets everywhere--including grocery stores--telling how to identify them and giving out an 800 number to report sightings. I' ve talked with many of the rangers out there and have never met one who hadn' t seen them numerous times--including the blank panther variety. Further east, sightings aren' t as common, but they do occur. I' ve seen one personally, but I know quite a few people who I respect who have seen them.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have spent thousands of hours in the timber in PA. In many different areas of the state. I have never seen a lion, never seen sign from a lion, never heard a lion. That does not mean there are none in PA.

As to the picture that started this thread, by now it has been pointed out where that cat came from. Coincidently, I just had that very picture sent to me last week, from a friend that lives in Austin, Texas. The story with the picture stated that the cat was killed by a Texan, in Texas. That cat sure does get around!

I can say this about mountain lions.....ask the Illinois DNR if there are lions in that state? They will emphatically tell you NO! Myself, and another member of this board can tell you with a left hand on a bible that there is at least one there!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:09 AM

Im a believer.... never saw one but still a believer. Maybe one day I will see one
Old 11-25-2003, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,
I thought the same thing. " how could the pgc fine you for an animal that doesn' t exist" . But then I was told that if an animal does not have a season or bag limit in the pgc handbook then it is illegal to harvest that animal. Now, this is hearsay and I have no idea if it is true or not but it would be nice to know for sure. I knoe I sure don' t want a fine for something I didn' t know was illegal.

Eric

Quick Reply: mountain lions in pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.