Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in pa >

mountain lions in pa

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in pa

Old 11-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mountain lions in pa

I was just curious as to wether or not someone has seen any lions here in pa. I have seen two in my life. One was while spotting in Juniata county. We thought it might be an albino deer until he stood up and started walking. Man was he big. His tail had to be 4 feet long. We went back the next day and found a nice 8 point half eaten with paw prints all around it. The only other one I saw was along 78 coming out of Allentown. I was heading home from work and saw him laying dead along the road. I still kick myself for not stopping because the next day he was gone.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:25 PM

Default RE: mountain lions in pa

I haven' t seen any, but my wife' s grandfather says he has one around his house in the Poconos (Wallenpaupak).
Old 11-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard many people tell me that they are here and I believe them.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM

to find one hit is rare...they a canny to say the least. very stealthy animals wiht almost a 6th sense, but not really, they have good senses they are there along with the yotes' draw quick
Old 11-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope someday I will be lucky enough to see one out in the wild. That would be a great experience. I did a search on the web and found an interesting article from this past October. This quote in particular caught my attention.

The mountain lion, also known as a puma or cougar, is common in the West, but the state Game Commission said the big cats no longer exist naturally in Pennsylvania.
Taken from this article : http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/2574295/detail.html

Old 11-18-2003, 05:35 PM

Bearklr, that' s a mighty fine signature you have there! It rings a bell with me, I just don' t know where I' ve seen that before!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Where in Juniata county did you see it. I live in juniata county. But anyhow there have been paw prints found behind my house and my neighbors have them in plaster. I know of numerous sightings of them around here and of many people hearing them scream. Most of these sighting have been close to the Shade mtn. I don' t know if you are familiar w/ that mtn. But of course there are no mtn. lions in pa. according to some people[X(]
Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 PM

i talked to a couple guy who live up in the mtns here in fayette county and they swear they have seen a big cat on more than one occasion, after all there had to be some at one time ,thats where penn state got the nittany lion from !
Old 11-19-2003, 03:01 AM

This is one a freind sent me that was said to be shot down by harrisburg. Dont know if it true or not but my friend knows the guy. It looks a little big to me, but I never saw one in the wild.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:11 AM

Never saw one in the woods in 28 years of hunting. Heard that they exist though. I remember years ago bowhunting in Tiadaughton Swamp of Tioga Cnty and hearing some god-awful screams around dark. That might have been bobcat though. I vaugely remember hearing/reading something about your Lehigh cnty sighting.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.