Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland Activity is starting! >

Maryland Activity is starting!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Activity is starting!

Old 11-09-2003, 02:20 AM

Default Maryland Activity is starting!

I have hunted 4 of the 7 days out of last week (during the warm spell) and saw no indication of the rut starting aside from a few scrapes. This cold snap came through on friday night and i gave it a shot saturday morning.

I went in the woods at 6am (in largo by my work) and I let out 4 estrous bleats. I waited a few minutes and let off 15-20 " tending" grunts with my grunt tube. within 5 minutes i see a buck peeking from the brush at me. It wasnt really a shooter (kinda small) but it got my hopes up. After about 3 or 4 minutes after that deer ran away- I hear a loud snort from behind me and another deer (assuming it was a buck) goes running away! I was only planning on hunting for 2 hours but all this happened withing 20 minutes total including me walking in!.

Anyways- just wanted to let you guys around me know that i think this cold spell got things rolling again! good luck to all!
Old 11-09-2003, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Maryland Activity is starting!

The bucks are definitely on the move and in hot pursuit. I talked to a few buddies last week who were in the woods on Wednesday and Thursday night and they saw all kinds of bucks chasing does. The rut started even before this cold front came in though...
Old 11-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy, who is a hunting nut and hunts every day in Charles and PG counties, says he hasn' t seen much buck action yet, and hopes it picks up some this week...
Old 11-09-2003, 07:33 PM

The action described above occurred in Washington County. It' s funny that there' s such a difference in activity only an hour an a half apart.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:06 AM

I hunted saturday in Baltimore county and did not see any buck action in the way of the rut...however i did let a monster 8 pt slip by me before i could stick him with an arrow because he came from my back side where i could not see due to the sun rising. this was the biggest buck we have seen on our property. what gets me is that some guys say only the smaller bucks are starting to runs does, while my boss who hunts about 20 miles from me in baltimore county said that the big non-typ 12 pt (or better) that they have spotted a few times is already running does like crazy and they witnessed him mounting several does in a field the other night. its hard to say whats going on but with this cold spell, i have this absolutely good feeling about tomorrow morning because i am off of work and i will be in the stand an hour before sun-up!!.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:04 PM

Plenty of activity ,the past week in southern Maryland.

Plenty made it to the walk in box also...lol

Good luck guys/gals.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:36 AM

Here is something that I dont get. I may be nuts but when I hunted in Largo, Md I would have swore we were in the middle of the rut. When I went hunting by my house (westminster-1 hour northwest) I didnt see anything. Could certain areas be more into the rut then others? I was out for 3 days straight and didnt see anything but a couple of fawns. Seems kinda strange to me. Anybody else seeing this?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Weakie, I used to live in Largo, just where is it your hunting, maybe in the Lottsford Rd area?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:00 AM

In Largo, i was hunting next to a church. this church is right in front of Mccormick drive. Are you familair with this. It is very close to the on ramp to get on 495 northbound (off of 202).
Old 11-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes thats very near Lottsford rd. I took a 16" spike there one year 130 some lbs.