Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Will Bear scare deer away from area? >

Will Bear scare deer away from area?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Will Bear scare deer away from area?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default Will Bear scare deer away from area?

I have a feeder and Camera out and i know there are deer in the area but all that i get are Bear pics?
Attached Thumbnails Will Bear scare deer away from area?-mfdc0057.jpg  
Old 08-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the bears are just moving in yes they will keep the deer away, and the deer will try to avoid them when possible, once they adapt to bears being around they will return, but not at the same time bear are there. Bears are notorious predators of newborn fawns.
RR
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see bears and deer from my stand in the same day. An average trail camera day will have bears and deer coming and going within 30-60 minutes of each other. They share the woods all the time. The deer will avoid the bear, but not an area just because a bear was there earlier.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I see bears and deer from my stand in the same day. An average trail camera day will have bears and deer coming and going within 30-60 minutes of each other. They share the woods all the time. The deer will avoid the bear, but not an area just because a bear was there earlier.
I've also found this to be the case too.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think it depends on how big of an area they have to be in.. As normally the deer will tend to stay away until the threat of a bear is gone.. I have had both on trail cam as well but it maybe around half of a day difference.. It you have food out such as apples or what ever the bears will keep the deer away until the bears have moved on. That is as long as the bears are eating there..
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of a deer watching a bear walk by.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Spike

How big you think this bear will get
Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Bear and deer co-exists just fine.During fawning season a doe may not tolerate having bears around on a regular basis however.Is that picture in northern Clearfield/Southern elk county?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Ed,I thought that was you after seeing your PM.Last year I never saw a single bear and very little sign in some spots that usually are a sure bet until I checked out that area.There were no acorns anywhere just a few miles from there but that area was loaded if I'm thinking I know where that picture taken.This year there's bear sign every place I go.I saw the biggest set of tracks of my life this past weekend not far from there and my son and I called in a nice bear behind that big Clearcut off of firewater rd while hunting coyotes about a month ago.The guy that owns that small camp on Bundy settlemnt rd has a video of a huge bear.

I wouldn't worry about the bears messing up your deer hunting.I get bears and deer on camera on the same day quite a bit.I've also seen bears and deer from the same stand many times.However,if you have a feeder set up and bear are hitting it regularly,deer may avoid that particular spot.They didn't go anywhere though.If that's where I think it is,there's no shortage of deer.Seeing them in there may be a different story though.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there's corn down, bears will come out of the woodwork. Once you remove the corn, the bear sightings will go way down. Around the same time, the bucks will shed their velvet and start cruising around.

Every summer we have mostly bears on our cameras. It changes to deer as the fall approaches. No need to worry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.