Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Will Bear scare deer away from area? >

Will Bear scare deer away from area?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Will Bear scare deer away from area?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Spike

Let's face it, they are all out there looking for food. Is a bear higher up on the food chain than a deer? You bet!! Will a bear give way over a kill, to a deer? No way!

I agree that they co-exist, but they are very much aware of their pecking order in the food chain, and a deer is even more skiddish than a Black Bear (not talking grizzlies here of course).

It is my opinion that you will not have as predictable a feeding or migration pattern with the deer, if there are bear around, but I DON'T believe they will disappear altogether.

Frankly, given the increasing numbers of COYOTES around here lately (in the Northeast), I'd be MORE concerned about THEM, than bears.

Last edited by Soupy1957; 09-02-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say bears will NOT scare deer from coming into your bait. Deer will check the bait from a distance, if they see a bear they will wait and come in later, I've seen this while hunting numerous times, and also from my camera I would have a bear on it, then 1/2 hr to 45 mins later deer would be on it. I've also witness from my stand deer and bear at the same time, granted they where 100 plus yards from each other