Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bass Pro coming to Harrisburg PA >

Bass Pro coming to Harrisburg PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bass Pro coming to Harrisburg PA

Old 10-07-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Bass Pro coming to Harrisburg PA

Here is the press release from Bass pro' s website. I knew it was only a matter of time after Cabelas anounced their store. They can' t let their biggest compettitior have sole control over one of the biggest hunting states in the US.

Future Store - Harrisburg, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World
Bass Pro to Open Huge Retail Store in Pennsylvania Harrisburg, PA (October 3, 2003) - Bass Pro Shops, America' s most popular outdoor store, has agreed to open a 225,000 square foot super store at the intersection of I-83 and Paxton Street in Harrisburg, PA. The store is tentatively scheduled to open in the spring of 2005 if not sooner. The Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store will offer shoppers the area' s largest selection of quality outdoor gear, clothing and accessories from top industry names and at value prices. More than just a fishing and hunting store, however, the Harrisburg store will also offer equipment for hiking, backpacking, wildlife viewing, camping, outdoor cooking and more. A gift and nature center will also serve up a wide variety of outdoor-related items from lamps and dishes to bird feeders and furniture. An expansive boat showroom will feature Tracker, Nitro, Mako and SeaCraft boats all built by sister company Tracker Marine Group--the world' s largest manufacturer of fishing boats. Unique exterior and interior motifs have branded Bass Pro Shops as visually appealing, high quality outdoor stores. The outdoor feel is brought indoors through massive log and rock work, large indoor aquariums and water features stocked with native fish species, as well as an extensive collection of museum quality fish and wildlife mounts. Special exhibits will pay tribute to Pennsylvania' s great outdoors heritage. " We are excited to bring Bass Pro Shops to the great state of Pennsylvania," said Bass Pro Shops President Jim Hagale. " This store will be dedicated to the families and visitors who enjoy the great outdoor traditions this state has to offer." Bass Pro Shops, known for hiring associates that have a passion for the outdoors, is expected to employ approximately 300 people who will all come from the local region. Employment information is available in the career opportunities section of www.basspro.com. Feldman Equities, Inc. recently acquired the property, which has been known as Harrisburg East Mall, and with the new mega outdoor store as an anchor, will be doing major upgrades and adding other new tenants to the mix. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has committed to the conversion of the center' s major access road and upgrading to the exit ramp to Interstate 83. " We are confident this project will be successful due to the incredible draw of Bass Pro Shops combined with a solid base of specialty retailers," said Feldman Equities' CEO Larry Feldman. " The State of Pennsylvania, as well as Swatara Township, Dauphin County and the Central Dauphin County School District have all shown exceptional support." Unequaled in their award-winning concept and design, Bass Pro Shops destination retail stores attract some 54 million people annually. The " granddaddy" of all outdoor stores, the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World located in Springfield, Missouri, is the state' s number one tourist attraction. Bass Pro Shops, a major internet and catalog retailer headquartered in Springfield, Missouri, will have 21 locations across the United States by the end of 2003, and will offer visitors an astounding 2.5 million square feet of outdoor excitement. Stores are located in Springfield (also home to an outlet center) and St. Louis, MO, Dallas and Houston, TX, Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI, Cincinnati, OH, Atlanta and Savannah, GA, Baltimore, MD, Destin, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Islamorada, FL, Charlotte, NC, Nashville and Memphis, TN. Stores opening next month are Bossier City, near Shreveport, LA, Hampton, VA and Oklahoma City, OK. Future stores that have been announced to open in 2004 include Auburn, NY, Myrtle Beach, SC, Columbia, MO. Las Vegas, NV and Toronto, Canada. Feldman Equities is the modern business entity that encompasses a century of success in commercial real estate development, management and ownership throughout the United States. In the last 25 years, Larry Feldman and his father Edward Feldman, together with their partners Jim Bourg and Scott Jensen, have developed or acquired over 12 million square feet of office and retail properties with an aggregate value in excess of $3 billion.
Harrisburg, PA
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 AM

Default RE: Bass Pro coming to Harrisburg PA

I live about 10 minutes from there, but after seeing Cabela' s I am really wondering how the mall and surrounding areas will handle the traffic and parking load. I cant wait though, i am close enough that i can ride my bike if the traffic is too bad

We also got a Gander Mtn super store in September nearby.

I really need to get a second job
Old 10-07-2003, 06:53 AM

Yeah I gre up just north of Harrisburg in the Halifax area and I used to work just off of Derry street only about a mile or 2 from the East Mall. I' m glad to see something nice is going in there. The east mall used to be a really bad area. Hopefully this store is as nice as Cabelas, it is only slightly smaller than Cabelas (250,000 square feet) with Bass Pro going to be 225,00 square feet. I know I will be going to visit my parents much much more now that Cabelas and Bass Pro are going to be in the area.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:08 AM

hehe the East Mall is still a pretty bad area , which I think is why Lord and Taylor didnt do too well there. It will be interesting to see what Bass Pro does for the area.

I knida feel bad for the local shops that are going to suffer from these two giants competing. Personally I have decided to try and do a 50-50 split between the chains and local shops.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:13 AM

Yeah I know what ya mean, I also try to support the " good" local shops. Yeah and your right the East Mall is still pretty bad but not as bad as when I was growing up, I always heard about people being stabbed and mugged at that mall. Which had something to do with the location near the " Hood" But the last time I was there the police presence was much greater than it used to be.