Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Best state in the north east for hunting? >

Best state in the north east for hunting?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Best state in the north east for hunting?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Spike

RI is pretty damn good. especially if you go over to Block Island. its a little pricey, but if you want to be guarenteed a few deer. go there. They hand out tags like candy over there.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt PA and NJ and I would say NJ would be my pick .

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Spike

I've live in NH my entire life and have hunted here for almost 20 years and I would say that if you are looking for a great spot to come and hunt deer with some reasonable success of even seeing a deer that you would want to shoot you should cross this state of your list. The deer herd just isn't that spectacular and though the possibility of a big deer does exist it is highly unlikely you are going to locate one in any reasonable amount of time to make a hunting trip worth it. Maine's deer herd has been slammed by rough winters and is a not doing great from everything I have heard and experienced. I haven't hunted there in the last 5 years due to a distinct lack of animals in the areas I have access to. Focus on western MA or CT, PA, OH, and maybe VT.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hrafn
I've live in NH my entire life and have hunted here for almost 20 years and I would say that if you are looking for a great spot to come and hunt deer with some reasonable success of even seeing a deer that you would want to shoot you should cross this state of your list. The deer herd just isn't that spectacular and though the possibility of a big deer does exist it is highly unlikely you are going to locate one in any reasonable amount of time to make a hunting trip worth it. Maine's deer herd has been slammed by rough winters and is a not doing great from everything I have heard and experienced. I haven't hunted there in the last 5 years due to a distinct lack of animals in the areas I have access to. Focus on western MA or CT, PA, OH, and maybe VT.

Wow, somebody recommending VT over NH! I haven't heard that before. I'll take PA for hunt quality but I do love VT.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Spike

I'd go to Maine or Pennsylvania. I'm in CT and out of state hunters is pretty much non existence. I'm probably in one of the best zones in CT due to large amount of deer and turkeys and they want hunters to really lower the population. Although you have to have to take a stupid bow hunter safety course as just a normal hunters safety course isn't good enough for liberal states. But we have some lame laws such as no sunday hunting and you can't hunt turkeys after noon. The no sunday hunting is such an outdated law. I can go bow hunt lion in Africa but I can't hunt deer in my own backyard without the additional bow course. So to sum up my rant avoid Connecticut haha.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

We have to avoid CT. because there is nowhere to hunt.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
You will draw a powerball ticket before a non-resident moose tag. Whitetails are huge in Maine, but there are few and the land is thick and vast. Bear hunting is great.
Hehe, I drew a non-resident NH moose tag two years ago for zone C2. Got 15 points in Maine but not optimistic. No powerball lotteries yet, but I don't do those. They are just taxes on people bad at math.

Last edited by Zim; 01-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I've drawn NH and VT. They're easy. Maine is the tough one.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by moosemike
I've drawn NH and VT. They're easy. Maine is the tough one.
Although I think it's impossible to calculate actual Maine draw odds given the ridiculous system, what I have seen posted indicates with 15 points x ten my odds are better than the odds in New Hampshire. For someone on the ground floor I could see Maine being worse.

I would not classify any of the three as "easy". Statistically hunters have a better chance dying before drawing in their lifetimes.

Did you go DIY in NH & VT? How did you do?

Last edited by Zim; 01-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yes DIY. I killed the bull in my avatar in VT and a bigger one horned bull in NH. My wife also has drawn VT and got skunked and her brother drew NH and killed a small bull. None of us ever pulled Maine and two years ago I forgot to apply and all my points got dumped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.