Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any luck in NJ yet? >

Any luck in NJ yet?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any luck in NJ yet?

Old 09-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any luck in NJ yet?

I went out opening morning, but got there a bit late. Spooked a doe and a fawn on the way in, sorry to say they were under another guys stand, he was not to happy. It is on state land, and had no way of knowing this guy was setup there.

How did all of you do?

14 guys opening morning at this state land, and 1 doe was taken....supposedly.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any luck in NJ yet?

Catskill,

What state land were you hunting?? My buudy made it out in Zone 22 and saw 4 BUCKS on Sat night--they ranged from a spike to a 6pt. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was in zone 9 and had 1- 6 pt at 10 yds and saw another deer feeding in some thick stuff at 40, only could make out the legs.But it felt good to be huntin' again.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:00 PM

i got out late as well i am in zone 19 ,private land ,i had a deer snorting at me before i hit my tree i climb ,had a doe come in from behind me wich is a first for this stand they have allways come from my right or in front of me ,no corn in neighbors feild so i guess it had some thing to do with it usually it is a great place to pick them off coming from corn to bedding area ,she was real nervous the whole time as she got close to my trail i took to get in she put her tail up and started to hed back to the woods ,then had another deer snorting @ me while i watched her go back to woods ,never saw the deer that snorted ,the doe was good practice to get up turned 180 degrees around to set for shot but it just did not happen ,about a 1/2 hr later or so had a couple of fawns feeding in the reeds on the honmeysuckle leaves for a good 1/2 hr then they left ,10 min later i seea doe on the trail i came in on ,she was nervous as well but she could not resist a few white acorns as she came into the woods she hit the trail the other deer left on and stopped giving me a broadside shot ,i thought it was 25 yds to maybe 30 at most ,it turned out sfter i shot i hit the spot with the range finder and got 38 yds ,i guess the pendulum worked .she only went 30 to 40 yds ,i could see her go down ,i sat to hope to see some more for the video camera ,i had a spike come in on the same trail he waslooking around nervous i never got the camera out in time sat till 9 and saw no more ,the spike was still in velvet ,he walked right past the downed deer sniffed her and walked on never flinching .good day and a great way to start with a deer .life is good .
Old 09-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

we hunted state land. me my brother and my friend. my friend shot a 70 pound fawn. complete pass trough at like 50 yards. he just had to take the shot with his new matthews. his bow looks soooooo stupid with 5 pins on it. i saw 3 does, 3 fawns, a six pointer and a spike. i love this apple orchard i found on public land. the other guys that hunt on the public land have NO clue it is there. i love it
Old 09-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I was hunting state land in Zone 14...........big place, still have to find out the areas better.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was hunting private land in zone 9. I didn' t see anything in the morning. My buddy saw a small 4 point. After picking our other buddy up (who also saw nothing) we were driving along and I saw a decent 8 bedded about 20 yards off the road. It had about a 15-16 inch spread. Then another 8 with about an 18 inch spread stood up. It was a much bigger rack, but smaller in the body. Then another 18 inch 8 stood up that was bigger in the body, but slightly smaller than the other big 8. There was a smaller buck further in the woods, but we didn' t get a good look at him. In the evening I had a spike in velvet come under my stand. Then a doe and a fawn came by. The fawn came as close as 30 yards broadside, but it was too far of a shot at such a small deer. My buddy got a shot at the doe but hit a branch. He hit a doe in the field at around 40 yards [:' (] but couldn' t find her. My other buddy got a fawn to fill his antlerless tag. He wanted to shoot a bigger doe, but that was the only shot he was offered. He also saw a big 11, a nice 6, and some smaller bucks. Hopefully, I' ll get my doe soon so I can get a crack at one of those nice bucks!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

FOr me I am new down the shore where I am hunting this early season as my regular area if off limits till sept 27. So I am hunting is zone 22 and have not seen a lot of deer. I had a young fawn around for the two days I was in a particular stand site. I had a nice fat doe come in when the fawn was in front of me and the fat doe behind me but got busted turning to get a shot[:@]. But I am trying another area actually only 100 yards away from the first stand. It just looks like there should be deer everywhere around here but I have not seen many deer so far. But I love just being out there.

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

HuntingBry

How or should I say WHY...did your friend shoot a fawn? I would have given him the 3rd degree. Not only is it a few months old, but he' ll be lucky to get a couple of burgers out of that thing!!!

Its a shame that guys are willing to shoot a fawn just to have a chance a shooting a buck...

Let the damn deer grow for Christ sakes!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Catskill,

In a sense I agree with you. The buddy I am talking about prefers to shoot smaller deer though for the freezer. Kind of like veal venison I guess. I agree that it' s not much of a challenge and the amount of meat you get isn' t a lot, but it does taste good. If I have a chance at a decent size young deer I will take them as well, because they taste good. I think too that he may have gotten excited because of all the bucks we had seen earlier and wanted to get his earn-a-buck taken care of. As far as giving him the 3rd degree, it' s his choice and this guy will use every scrap of meat he gets off that deer so I can' t say too much. I did give him the business about how small the deer was, but hey, on a deer that small it' s a great shot. Anyway, I probably would not have shot that deer, but it' s just like the folks that shoot a 1.5 year old fork horn. It' s their choice. If it makes them happy, then good for them. Good luck!

BTW, where in zone 14 were you? I hunt around Franklin Twp. as well.

Quick Reply: Any luck in NJ yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.