HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any luck in NJ yet?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
HuntingBry
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any luck in NJ yet?

I was hunting private land in zone 9. I didn' t see anything in the morning. My buddy saw a small 4 point. After picking our other buddy up (who also saw nothing) we were driving along and I saw a decent 8 bedded about 20 yards off the road. It had about a 15-16 inch spread. Then another 8 with about an 18 inch spread stood up. It was a much bigger rack, but smaller in the body. Then another 18 inch 8 stood up that was bigger in the body, but slightly smaller than the other big 8. There was a smaller buck further in the woods, but we didn' t get a good look at him. In the evening I had a spike in velvet come under my stand. Then a doe and a fawn came by. The fawn came as close as 30 yards broadside, but it was too far of a shot at such a small deer. My buddy got a shot at the doe but hit a branch. He hit a doe in the field at around 40 yards [:' (] but couldn' t find her. My other buddy got a fawn to fill his antlerless tag. He wanted to shoot a bigger doe, but that was the only shot he was offered. He also saw a big 11, a nice 6, and some smaller bucks. Hopefully, I' ll get my doe soon so I can get a crack at one of those nice bucks!