Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 maine bear hunting >

maine bear hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

maine bear hunting

Old 08-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: maine bear hunting

what part of maine are you heading to? use your slug gun if thats what your used to. it will do an awesome job! i second going to the kittery trading post it will take you about 6 hours to get there from jersey its right over the border. dont even stop for gas in massachusetts. the gun laws there are bad and the gas exits take you way off 95 into local towns most of the time. fill up in connecticut and then when your in maine. those states have better easy on and offs. my buddy loves to go to the l.l. bean headquarters too. thats up in freeport . bring lots of film the moose should be all over the roads so be careful. i hunt up in jackman area. they make good local syrup up there also. bring a headnet and as stated before dont move on stand. pay attention to the wildlife sounds around you . a bear with its padded feet just slips in on you like a black ghost and any crows or critters will go quiet when the big boy arrives. bears are hard to judge so look at the ears if there rounded and spread apart should be a good one as compared to close together and pointed or sharp outlined ears. bears up there average only 150 lbs. but can be found much bigger so if you get one you should be proud of any size you get. if it looks small chances are its a cub but can be over 80 lbs in some cases but ma ma will be not to far behind so when in doubt take a deep breath and wait. remember any paid hunt isint guaranteed so have fun with it. do some fishing because you probably wont be on stand till 3 or 4 pm. let us know how it was!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: maine bear hunting

its 4:03 am and i am off for bear hunting. thanx every1 for your tips and i will be stopping at kittery trading post to get liscenses and permits for the ATVs. i am using a 30-06 to kill " mr. blackie" . i dont eat lobster and cant wait to get a moose on videocamera. i believe the closest town to our hunting camp is Mars Hills. talk to you guys in a week!!! i will post pics of the bruins we shoot.