Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maine Bear Hunting >

Maine Bear Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maine Bear Hunting

Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Maine Bear Hunting

I'll be hunting in the Maine woods this year for bear. I've never been there before, and I wanted some opinions on the best camo for the job. I don't know a lot about the make up of the trees in Maine in September so any help will be appreciated. The guide said that he likes the darker Mossy Oak, but that is just his two cents. Any help is welcome!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Maine Bear Hunting

The Maine woods are very dark and deep, MossyOak sounds good. If your going early you'll need protection from bugs.Also the Bear's will know your there, they will circle your stand just out of range and "pop" there teeth. They try to make you move...stand still and wait... If the bears head looks big, or of you cant decide if it's big or not it's a small bear. You will know a large bear...the head looks small in relation to it's body.GL ..I hope your useing a bow..a rifle aint much of a challege for baited bear.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't really have an aswer for ya except. Good Luck and I wish I had your dilema. Maybe try to post this in the NE. forum also. One thing I do know is, make sure you have help getting it out, unless you plan on quartering it. If it's a self guided trip and your by yourself, make plans ahead of time to recruit some hands.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted up Maine a few years ago with an outfitter. I would say that scent control would be my prioity over camo type.
They have anincredible sense of smell and like said before will often circle the bait checking the wind for any human scent.
If I were to go again I would rub or soak my hunting clothes in the bait that the guide is using. It is usually sweet stuff like cerealls and junk type cakes and donuts.
In our party of 12 we got 9 bear. Everyone except me and my 2 buddies.
You know what the common denominator was? The 3 of us were driven by the same guide in the same truck with a severe oil leak and exhaust problem foralmost twohours to our hunting spot. One local that was teamed up with us decided to follow with his own vehicle and ended up seeing 3 bear and took a nice one. Neither me nor my two buddies ever saw a bear the entire week of hunting. We are seasoned veteran hunters with many kills and experience behind us. We begged the outfitter to let our guide switch vehicles, but he would not comply. Needless to say that was our last trip to that outfitter (Stony Brook Lodge) Outfitter Bob Parker
Old 08-21-2005, 08:15 PM

You also might want to look into a string tracker. Bear hide soaks up alot of blood..not to good for blood trials.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 PM

I ended up ordering the Mossy Oak Break Up pattern coveralls, gloves, head cover, and boots. Hopefully this will be a good choice. I even went as far as to get some darker face paint to cover the part of my face that my head cover doesn't. This could be my only Maine bear hunt for quite some time, so I really don't want to take any chances.