Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rendell uses hunters TAX dollars.... >

Rendell uses hunters TAX dollars....

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rendell uses hunters TAX dollars....

Old 08-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rendell uses hunters TAX dollars....

for something to show off our proud Pennsylvania hunting and fishing heritage! [:-]

Rendell releasing funds for hunt-fish museum

By CHUCK HAYES Times Observer Staff Writer

Gov. Ed Rendell will be in Tionesta on Saturday to announce he will release $4 million in state funding for construction of the Hunting and Fishing Museum of Pennsylvania.

State Rep. Jim Lynch said Rendell will be at the site of the proposed museum to announce he will release $1.5 million placed in last fiscal year' s capital assistance budget and $2.5 million from this year' s capital budget for construction of the museum.
The public is invited to attend a brief ceremonial check presentation by the governor at the museum site at noon. The site of the proposed museum is one and a half islands, with a total of 47 acres, which will be donated by Jack Sherman, owner of Tionesta Sand and Gravel. A land bridge connects the islands to Tionesta Borough.

" He' s not a hunter or a fisherman, but he recognizes the importance of those industries in Pennsylvania," Lynch said of the governor. " He' s not ignoring rural Pennsylvania."

The $4 million in state funding must be matched with local, private and corporate funding.

" We' re just starting our serious fund-raising, but state funding will be a jump start," said Lynch. " We have talked to some large groups that want to take on the fund-raising and they feel once we get started, it will be relatively easy to accomplish, particularly in light of the governor' s commitment."

With the release of the state funds by Rendell, Lynch said it is possible that some construction of the museum could begin this fall.

The museum has been designed so that it can be constructed in stages as funds become available. The total pricetag for the museum is between $8 million and $9 million.

Based on attendance at other state museums, Lynch expects an average of at least 10,000 people per month will visit the museum dedicated to the history of hunting and fishing in the region and in the state.

The Drake Well oil museum in Titusville attracts an average of 3,000 visitors per month and the Lumber Museum in Galeton attracts 2,000 visitors per month. Interest in hunting and fishing is much broader than interest in the oil and lumber industries, said Lynch, and he would expect the museum to attract 10,000 to 15,000 visitors per month.

A combined 2.2 million hunting a fishing licenses are sold in Pennsylvania annually, Lynch said, which represents one of the highest license totals in the nation.

Although there are a few commercial hunting and fishing museums scattered throughout the United States, said Lynch, " There is not another state hunting and fishing museum in the country, and there' s nothing of this scale. From the Delaware River to Lake Erie, this will be a hunting and fishing museum for the entire state. It will cover all of it."

Part of the museum will be dedicated to preserving and illustrating the history of hunting, fishing and trapping, but the museum will also be dedicated to education.

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has agreed in principle to be involved in the educational programs.

The indoor and outdoor museum will be complemented by interpretive trails, an amphitheater and a handicapped-accessible fishing pier.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rendell uses hunters TAX dollars....

hmmm , isn' t this the man that said he isn' t in the gun buy back business , he' s in the gun confiscation business. something sounds fishy here ( no pun intended )

and 2 weeks ago , i called the office of state parks to see about employment as i' de like to change jobs , and was told that due to the new governor' s budget cuts , they were not doing any hiring and were losing employment positions.

now this museum , something seems awry to me about this , kind of like giving a finger and taking a hand in return , not to offend anybody , i mean i' m all for a museum like that and all and it' s really great but , does this seem strange with the way they keep saying that we' re in financial trouble ???
sorry but , this seems strange to me , like somethings up ???
anybody got any ideas
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Simply put, I don' t trust him and there has to be a hidden agenda.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m glad you guys feel the same way about our govenor that I do. This project has been talked about for a couple years, so I' m pretty sure it has nothing to do with Rendell othere than he happens to be in office and gave the go ahead. I don' t like him at all, but we have what we have! Think we could get a recal petition going on here?!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:36 PM

I also think that there is a catch somewhere.[:@]
Old 08-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

NOW Just think about this. He is a Gun grabbing liberal. He would not allow bow hunting in the problem areas in surburban Pilthy town when he was mayor. He ran the schools in to bankrupcty. KNow all Pa residents must pay to educate and pay for the liberal education the system delivers.
DONT GO AWAY NEXT! What do you usually see in a museum ????????????
The past! ,What was, What use to be!!!! That is exactly what that museum will be,a picture of the past . A PETA agenda for the future. This guy is a snake,and people with his agenda dont care if his programs and hidden agenda takes 100 years to come to success. They shed their skins to fit the mold. Just think when he runs for President some day he can put on his resume> I Supported the sportsman< I live to close to Philly and seen his liberal antihunting and gun grabbing goals by him. By the way as far as the NRA he failed ever test. He would have to get on his knees with me and ask for forgiveness for his stand on guns and hunting,Share in a deer kill, help me gut it and then go home and join in while we blast my AK 47 at targets ,before I would consider him a friend of sportsman and gun owners.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Host of Hosts

Don' t trust him either! He' s a Snake in the grass!