Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WV Hunting dates... >

WV Hunting dates...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Hunting dates...

Old 07-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV Hunting dates...

Why did they push back the opening of squirrel and bow this year? Squirrel starts the 11th and bow starts the 18th. For 20+ yrs squirrel has opened the first Saturday in Oct...and bow was the following weekend. I know they like to have the youth hunt the week before squirrel opens...but what' s the sin against having that first weekend in September? Hell, in Ohio our squirrel season starts in about 2 weeks.

Lost another couple hunting days....[:' (]
Old 07-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Banned

Default RE: WV Hunting dates...

Your kidding me right? We Didnt have enough time to bow hunt in the first place. That is Crazy. Its been the tradition in our family to meet on the first weekend in October and squirral hunt that day and then bow hunt on the second saturday. West Virginia has a VERY BAD dnr as far as im conserned. They dont care about us. Now we dont have time to hunt. Thats crazy.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Aaron...I agree that the WV DNR has dropped the ball several times. However, I sureley wouldn' t say that they are the worst in the US. I live in Ohio, and would appreciate some of the WV' s DNR tactics.

I' m still yanked about this season change. [:' (][:' (][:' (]

What' ll be next......shotguns for gun season???? It' s not that far away, my friends.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

West Virginia has the Worst DNR in the US as far as im concerned.
I really don' t know it it' s the worst, but it is pretty bad if you ask me. It has gotten better over the last 20 years, but it' s a far cry from " good" . Seems like for every thing they try and improve, they counter themselves almost immediately. [:' (]

This stinks for sure...the 18th is a long way off. The only saving grace for me is I have VA to hunt until WV opens.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Al,

You don' t find that hunting squirrels messes up deer hunting the following week and beyond? I know we touched on this once before, but I would love to be able to do both if I could get away with it, especially within a few years as my sons will be able to go out with me. Of course, there will have to be squirrels to hunt, and with last year' s zero crop I am doubtful many are around my place.

Thanks! By the way, the framing got pushed back and is due to start tomorrow, although the cinder block foundation and septic are done...
Old 08-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug...We have enough land that I can steer clear of where I am going to deer hunt, but it surely will mess it up! I stay away from where I am going to bow hunt.

That said...I killed a 7pt with my bow last year just after a father and son had wondered 100yds past my stand while talking and messing around. WHO KNOWS???? LOL

Sounds like the cabin is coming along nicely! Hope everybody keeps their promise to you....

If you have any questions....just keep e-mailin!

Al
Old 08-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Just got done reading the new 2003 hunting and trapping rule book, heck didnt even look at the opening dates figured they were the same as usual. That sucks that they changed them. One good thing i can say about the wv dnr is that they dont let you kill a ton of deer like some other states. I have heard friend and co workers from virginia talkin about certain counties there where you can keep buying tags and killing 2 a day and get like 20 plus deer legally and it makes me wonder how they can keep such a population. I did notice where you can kill 2 does a day in most counties this year, but its kinda confusing. Does it mean that you can kill two of your 3 does in one day as long as you check the first one in before you get the second or does it mean that you can kill one check it in and kill another without a tag. They do have some confusing laws over here. Im like ya' ll im used to the opening day of squirrel and bow, we always get together for the first day of squirel and hunt and then do the same the next saturday for bow and go check out the fall festival that same weekend.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 PM

One very positive thing I see (IMHO) is the loosening of antlerless regs. Where I am in the South Central part of the state (Fayette and Nicholas) it is good to see permits available (Nicholas) and open antlerless (Fayette bag limit 1). There are only three counties where anterless permits are required this year...that should go along way to thinning a bit of the herd and as a result opening up more habitat for healthier deer.

I agree that there are some practices of the WV DNR that are a bit confusing, but I feel it is a long, long way from being the worst.

I know many that do not agree with some practices and regulations will go to the regulations meetings each year. If you don' t agree with something, attending these meetings is a great way to learn about how the regs are formed and why...and to also present your opinions about particular regs (i.e. opening dates).

Old 08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Banned

Hey springgobbler, when and where are these meetings held? I would like to attend a few of those next year.

I edited my post from worst to very bad. It probably is not the worst but its close. I havent hunted in very many states, but from what i read and hear, we arent doing very good compared to other states.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:34 PM

Aaron-
You can find a listing of these meetings and dates for next year in the regulations book. The meetings are March 22, 23, 24 and 25th. There is one March 22nd right down the road from you at North Bend. If you don' t have one handy, you can download one by visiting this link:

http://www.dnr.state.wv.us/wvhunting...s/2000regs.htm

Another suggestion I would make for those concerned about the regulations in WV is to participate in the bowhunters survey. It allows you to document what you see in the woods while you are out there hunting and gives the DNR personell some insight...and also allows you to provide some of your opinions.

Good luck in good ole' Ritchie County this fall......it is where all my kin are from; Cut my bowhunting teeth up a holler in Berea...I' m hoping to get up there this fall and fill a few antlerless tags.