Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear bait!!!

Old 07-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear bait!!!

marlin, i just made a call, may be able to help you out. would a mixture of bread and junk food work for you? how about tossing in some run-off from soda fountains on the bread, also? where in maine are you heading? plus, may be able to work on out-of-date boxes of cookies. give me an e-mail at [email protected] if interested. also, didn' t i see someplace that you are a guide? later, vtbuckrulrss
Old 08-04-2003, 07:57 AM

we just hit the jack pot out here guys... I should have enough to set up half a dozen additional baits if need be this season.
let me know if i can be of any help to you guys.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:19 PM

eru0817, I use to get it for free too, but because there is such a big demand for it in Maine, it is now a bidding war. My baits already have heavy bear sign around them and people in nearby towns are having problems with keeping them out of the garbage as well as the vacationers at camping areas around the lake where my baits are, so it looks like this year is going to be awesome. I have 32 baits and feed them 2 to 4- 5 gallon pails every 3 days during pre baiting season and 2 per day during the hunting season.

vtbuck, yes I am a guide, I only take 8 guys per week with most of which being repeat hunters. I have room for 14 in the lodge, but just 2 guides counting myself, so I take small groups to help keep high success rates and happy hunters.
Guiding is a tough and thankless job at times, but I love to see the look on a hunters face when they have an encounter with a Black Bear up close and personal!! Bear camp is always a good time and I get to meet people from all over the country and talk with my friends that come back every year, so I guess I can say that " I LOVE MY JOB!! "
Old 08-06-2003, 12:53 PM

Marlin 450.
It is starting to get like that out here now... people are trying to buy them from us now... it' s funny.
Just out of curiousity, where is your guide service out of? What part of Maine? Do you guys get lots of big bruins up there? What is their avg. size? The reason I ask is that some friends of the family just recently came back from a hunt up in ME. 7 guys and they got 7 bears. The smallest was 103lb and the largest around 280lb i believe.

We only have 5 baits out and and have about a dozen good bears coming in. I took a nice 325lb boar out here last year. I don' t see anything that big this year. One sow pushing 300lb if i had to guess, but she has 2 cubs w/ her.
I' d like to know more about your outfit though...
Thanks
E
Old 08-08-2003, 06:58 PM

Fellas....I have an unlimited supply source of blue plastic 55 gallon barrels...let' s talk.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:58 PM

eru0817, I am in the Ashland area and operate as a partner during bear season with a friend that is among the top when it comes to baiting and running hounds.
The area is located in Aroostook County and our baits have been established for many years with great success. Not to sound cocky, but we have harvested some real nice bear in this area for many years, with some reaching 400 plus pounds.
Of course, bear typically average 150 lbs anywhere you go in Maine, but because we have so many bear in the area, the odds go up in weight and numbers of bear harvested. We have had some color phase bears killed off our baits also, this is not normal for Maine, but we are glad to have them in our townships!!
7 out of 7 is awesome success, you must be above average hunters!!
The hunter who can sit still with little to no movement will be a successfull one while bear hunting!!
Sorry I cant post my Services name, but rules are rules. If you want to email me feel free!!

Joeswig, I have near 100 of them myself, but just for kicks, how much you gotta get for them??
Old 08-12-2003, 07:53 AM

Marlin,
I will be in touch....
I would love to see a 400lb bruin. what a monster.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:52 PM

I would take $20 a piece plus shipping....fair?