Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack" >

Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack"

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack"

Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack"

Does anyone have a recipe for "Bear Crack" I think it contains Jell-O and marshmellows melted along with some other stuff???? Cant seem to find the recipe but I know its out there????????????

Help!!!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack"

I dont know about bear crack but I know of a simple way to get bears to come in. Get yourself some carp the year before you plan to hunt, put it in coin sacks in a bucket, and burry it underground. Let it sit for a year. Pull it out the year you plan to hunt and it will have turned to a liquid. Find a small tree that the bear can not climb and is out of reach and hang the bag in the tree. The liquid will slowly drip out. Word of caution, bring nose plugs.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tip do you mean the cloth style coin bags??? About how many fish do you put in each bag??? Size of fish???
Old 03-06-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the tip, are the bags the cloth type?? How many fish do you put in each bag??? And what size fish??? Thanks alot.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 PM

snowcat...what he is describing is "stink bait". You can also use butcher trimmings and a milk crate and get the same effect. The trimmings are mostly fat and once they have been out for a day or so will stink to high hell and start to drip. Just fill a milk crate with trimmings and wire it up in a tree as high as you can reach. They can smell it for miles. Be careful though, in a few days don't get near it cuz I guarantee it will make you puke.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fat will work good, but I like best to use the fish. Yes the cloth style back works well. After a year the fish will turn into a cream and seap out of the bag. It makes like a drip system. And yes, moosehorn hunter is correct, It will make you puke. I find best to pack in a huge amount of bait and take the time to sit over it. With the stink bait, a huge amount of bread type items, and some good donut or kitchen grease, you should easily start seeing bears. Grease around the bait will stick to the bears feet and then will be spread as they walk off. If you are a bow hunter, spread honey on a licking tree far enough up to make a bear extend his front legs up and you will have a great shot at the vitals. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the tips I am a bowhunter from WY I went hunting for bears years ago when you could use whole carcasses (a horse really stinks after a month or so) I know what you mean about stink!!! But that isnt legal anymore. So I need to use newer techniques, thanks again for the tips. What do you guys think of Dogfood with molasses??
Old 03-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Up here you have to be careful with fish. Fish = grizzly bears. You cannot take a grizz over bait. The sweet stuff seems to appeal more to the blackies though, so it's best to stick with donuts, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Donuts are great and so are rolls. You can pack alot more in. Dogfood would work great but is alot heavier. You can pack in a little at a time but if you leave pack it out or you will turn the bears into night feeders. Thats why I like to take in one huge amount and sit over it until its gone over the period of a couple of days. If there are good bear concentrations thats all it should take. Spread the grease all around the bait. As another bear crosses the trail he will follow the trail to the bait and carry it off for other bears to follow. You will create a web of scent trails all over the place leading to your bait. Do that with stink bait and ALOT of goodies and I beleive that you will score.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:46 AM

Snowcat....any questions that you have, feel free to put them up. I have guided for bears in Maine for a long time and have no problem sharing the "tricks" of the trade with anyone that wishes to listen.

Quick Reply: Bear Bait recipe "Bear Crack"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.