Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Harvest #'s Down >

Harvest #'s Down

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Harvest #'s Down

Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Gino
> Just remember you have 300,000 bow hunters after the crossbow was made le
gal, but very few prior!!

There were actually tons and tons of guys hunting with x-bows before PA made them legal statewide. 30% of 2B, 5C and 5D archery season harvests were by x-bows. In the rest of PA the figure was around 15%. The GC has had to issue something like 60,000 handicapped permits allowing x-bows. Guys who wanted to hunt with x-bows were already do so via "handicap" permits.

PA has a long history of "bow" hunting. X-bows were made legal from the get go in OH. I expect the perctage to rise in PA but I doubt it ends up as high as the 60% in OH.

WV Gino
In 2009 bow hunters harvested 30.59% of our total antlered buck harvest. Even when our bow hunter numbers were at its highest point did we hit the 30% mark.

And you havent seen nothing yet, just wait another 4-5 years and see what % of the total antlered harvest took place in archery season. Heck just wait fot the 2010 harvest numbers!! It will take a few years of bow hunters converting, gun hunters taking up hunting with a crossbow and new hunters to the sport starting out with the crossbow to see the true results. I know numerous hunters that purchased new compound bows in 2007-2009 that cannot wait until its time for their next bow purchase because they cant justify spending another $700-$1,000 on a crossbow when they just recently spent the same amount on a compound that is still in brand new condition. The UBP better start kissing the crossbow hunters butts and atleast offer them a seat at the table with open arms. Because in less than 5 years the crossbow hunters will make up the majority of bow hunters and the UBP. will be lucky if the crossbow hunters decide to give them the scraps from the table let alone a seat at it. The UBP is about to learn that if you lay down with dogs (AKA. the PGC) you get flea's. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 03-31-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Pennsylvania's had a hard time, or atleast they have from what I've heard on here....NY numbers are waaaaayyyyy down too, and it made for a "not so great" season around here.....still fun to be in the woods though, ya gotta remember that!

BigBuck95
Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The UBP better start kissing the crossbow hunters butts and atleast offer them a seat at the table with open arms. Because in less than 5 years the crossbow hunters will make up the majority of bow hunters and the UBP. will be lucky if the crossbow hunters decide to give them the scraps from the table let alone a seat at it. The UBP is about to learn that if you lay down with dogs (AKA. the PGC) you get flea's. Pike
Just to stir the pot, maybe we will give them a special season!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Angry

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
It's Obama's fault.
didnt know that obama hunted in Pa. or even hunted at all. he must have an endless supply of doe tags to shoot all those does. lets get rid of the AR and HR and go back to the way it used to be.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA: The Times of Distruction

"Harvest #'s Down Of course they continue to fall. They are slowly wiping out the whole herd."

Maybe gun season will have to go to three days and antlered only.
Of course, crossbowers will be allowed to take antlerless deer.

There have been complaints for ten years. I guess herd reduction had no meaning to some. No one is listening to the complainers.

With all the complaints, the powers probably said, "We're going to reduce the deer overpopulation and never, ever, go through that again.
They probably are going to get the herd so low, nobody who hunts less than 200 yards from a trail or road, is ever going to see a deer again.

(The preceding was posted in jest, hyperbole, whit, and plain downright meanness)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine

"Harvest #'s Down Of course they continue to fall. They are slowly wiping out the whole herd."

Maybe gun season will have to go to three days and antlered only.
Of course, crossbowers will be allowed to take antlerless deer.

There have been complaints for ten years. I guess herd reduction had no meaning to some. No one is listening to the complainers.

With all the complaints, the powers probably said, "We're going to reduce the deer overpopulation and never, ever, go through that again.
They probably are going to get the herd so low, nobody who hunts less than 200 yards from a trail or road, is ever going to see a deer again.

(The preceding was posted in jest, hyperbole, whit, and plain downright meanness)
this is first year in 46 yrs here in clinton county,pa.WMU2G that i had 3 feeders in a great area that had no deer tracks at all.over 100 hunters hunted this area and 2 bucks were seen and shot.
3 doe were seen and 1 shot.
in archery i saw about 15 deer for say about 6 weeks of archery and in about a 10 mile area if you made a circle.in where i hunt i saw 6 point and 3 doe.that buck was killed first day by 17 hunters who surrounded me .if it had been doe season the first week i believe those 3 doe would have been shot then.1 was shot second week on gun season.

folks, i saw only 2 fawns all season.....trail cameras showed fawns in july but not in gun season.
coyotes/bears have to be killing these fawns,hunters in archery MUST be shooting fawns too.

when are we going to wake up............
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine

Well then, that should force these complainers further into the woods where they will start seeing these deer that a couple hundred thousand hunters continue to harvest every year. A win-win sitcheeashon!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I drive to pa all the time from wv. I see deer along the road in wv andy maryland.But very few from route 220 to reading exit of the turnpike.they just arent there like they use to be. We have to stop and let em cross the road here. almost any time of day... o well ...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wvhuntin4me
I drive to pa all the time from wv. I see deer along the road in wv andy maryland.But very few from route 220 to reading exit of the turnpike.they just arent there like they use to be. We have to stop and let em cross the road here. almost any time of day... o well ...
we used to be that way too here in pa.i remember counting 100 bucks in a 15 mile round trip area from renovo to bush dam back in 60s.we would only count bucks with our spot lights ,not doe....

boy that was something and we never thought we would see what we are now .here in western clinton county you can take that same trip and most deer you will see is about 10 deer.
you dont see a deer now in fields even on privateland.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering that having to stop on a highway for deer crossing is not necessarily a good thing, would think that seeing relatively few on the road would be considered a positive by many folks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.