Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
I really dont like the PA game commission >

I really dont like the PA game commission

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I really dont like the PA game commission

Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Spike

also not issue a billion doe tags like they do.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Hunting Stats

The Top States Issuing Hunting Lics.
1.) Pennsylvania
2.) Texas
3.) Michigan
4.) Wisconsin

Pennsylvania ranks 33rd. in the country with 44,817 sq. miles of land. West Virginia ranks 41st. with 24,078 sq. miles of land.

ARTICLE
Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Default Pgc is full of it

Funny thing is, even though pa has more tags than the other 3 states listed, we also have a smaller deer herd.

Wisconsin, Texas and Michigan all have MORE deer, even more than we had BEFORE reduction. Texas over 2 mil. Wisconsin at 1.8 mil. Michigan up there as well... All more than we EVER had. Now we have far fewer than we did previously. And we have many more tags than much larger states with much larger deer herds... Yeah...thats appropriate. lmao.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

>WV is comparable in size to Pa, has higher deer densities for the most part in many areas and has Under three hundred thousand hunters.

Sorry corny WV is half half the size of PA. 46K square miles vs 24k square mile

As far as the number of hunters in WV nobody knows how many hunters there are in WV. There may be 300k licensed hunters but there are lots more total hunters than that.

Hunters 65 and older in WV don't need a license to hunt.
Hunters 15 and under in WV don't need a license to hunt.(think 15 is correct)
Hunters on their own land don't need to buy a license.
Hunters on their parents land don't need to buy a license.
Hunters on their kids land don;t need a to buy a license.

The hunting pressure in WV is probably on par with PA.

WV Gino
Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for clarifying the land mass comparison. Ive seen the square mileage for quite a few states and WV is one, but didnt remember the difference being that much. Though it in itself doesnt mean alot in regards to the debate. Being a bit greater than half in size doesnt equal out with less than one third the license sales not to mention other variables involved.

>"As far as the number of hunters in WV nobody knows how many hunters there are in WV. There may be 300k licensed hunters but there are lots more total hunters than that."

Same could be said of Pa. Mentored youth numbers are completely unknown. And with 900,000 license buyers + Pas huge population compared to wv's very meager population comparatively, id imagine those youth hunters numbers to be MUCH higher than the youth in WV. Also Pa has hunters who dont buy licenses because they hold lifetime licenses. You also arent considering the Farmers and appointed friends + family who "hunt" year round for crop damage and dont need a license either.

Point is West Virginia in no way shape or form compares hunter numberswise no matter how you look at it. Though I would bet more Pennsylvanians head for WV to hunt than the other way around.

>"The hunting pressure in WV is probably on par with PA."

Having hunted there for several years in the past, In areas its in the neighborhood, no doubt. OVerall, not as high an average density. Not with over half the land mass and less than one third the license sales. Also considering the huge population difference betweeen Pa & WV I dont buy it that non-license buyers make up much of the difference.

Also, deer densities spoken of in recent years have been spoken of in areas of northern wv at over 80 dpsm according to the link a little while back that Id posted while in discussion with you. Id say they NEED some reduction. Pa with the best ow deer densities for a wmu below 25 owdpsm (not overly impressive, yet probably inflated to boot) and some as low as 10 dpsm.....

The allocation makes even less sense when our goals are SUPPOSED to be stabilization and have been that stated goal for years now. Yet according to pgc annual reports deer density change charts, the majority of wmus have experienced significant decline during these last 4 -5 years....

Also consider lowest buck harvests in decades, also coming last few years only highlighting the decline.

Its also unfathomable how we sell more doe tags than states with so many more deer than us, and they are many... yet they too have "science" and "biologists" who seem to see things a bit differently. They dont put such a high price tag on excess stockpilings of trillium and hobblebush.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

They dont put such a high price tag on excess stockpilings of trillium.
There's that word again. I am seriously considering giving up spring gobbler hunting just because the sight of trillium makes me want to puke.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

I agree. Audubon & the econut clown crew covet that crap and demonize the deer for eating it so much that I almost wish some exotic blight would come from china and wipe it all the hell out.

Ive been to several areas within what is supposed to be the highest deer density areas of the state and the friggin hillsides are covered with the crap. Not sure how the hell much more they are expecting.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

Wow. I spent the night cruising Wisconsin and Minnesota boards. It sounds like the folks in those states are going through the same thing we are going through here in Pennsylvania.

http://http://www.channel3000.com/ne...04/detail.html

MADISON, Wis. -- A powerful state senator wants conservation officials to fire anyone involved with deer management after hunters killed the fewest deer during Wisconsin's traditional November gun season in years.

Senate Majority Leader Russ Decker, a Weston Democrat, said the Department of Natural Resources' draconian herd control policies have devastated Wisconsin's deer population and left too many hunters empty-handed.

He said he's tired of the DNR's deer experts "jerking" hunters around.

According to preliminary figures, hunters killed about 195,000 deer during the 9-day season that ended Sunday. That's down 29 percent from last year.

DNR officials had no immediate comment.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

For how many years now, have the fellas from other states listened to us b%tch and moan and told us to stop complaining about our deer mgt?......Not pointing any fingers at Wisconsin necessarily, but we told them all to be vigilant, as the same econut lobby is working in nearly every state to some degree to acomplish their goals. My condolences to WI hunters, as they appear to be the latest victims. Somewhere there must exist a happy medium between extreme wildlife and habitat diversity and good deer hunting....Hunter satisfaction just always seems to be the expendable factor in the equation. Of course, if you judge things by the maybe 100 happy, smiling hunters on the PGC trophy page each year, (as you well should, and if you don't SHAME on you), these are the golden ages and it's never been better. My family in southern 4D has hunted every day since the opener, with ZERO deer sightings...and this is on private land. Very few shots fired, and fewer deer killed in the area. Poaching seemed to be up this year, and they are blaming that, and a certain neighbor who likes to assemble a gang of guys to drive the whole damn ridge off in in-line season, property lines don't exist to him. Doesn't help when we try to reign in the doe kill there, and then his gng drops ten of them in October ML season.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Poaching seemed to be up this year, and they are blaming that, and a certain neighbor who likes to assemble a gang of guys to drive the whole damn ridge off in in-line season, property lines don't exist to him. Doesn't help when we try to reign in the doe kill there, and then his gng drops ten of them in October ML season.
There is a gang over on the gamelands by me driving it every single day so far. They just won't let the place alone until every single deer is shot. The owner of the place were I hunt kicked a guy off several years ago because he wouldn't stop until he killed every last doe that hung around there. Its hard to practice good deer management when you got pigs out there that need to kill every deer they see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.