Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
I really dont like the PA game commission >

I really dont like the PA game commission

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I really dont like the PA game commission

Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Gotcha, Pats. There are places I'll kill a doe, and places I won't. I NEVER take more than one from the same area/ year, regardless of how many I may see.
I won,t take a doe were I hunt my bucks. They are more useful to me alive. Like I said before, the bucks won't come through my area looking for them to breed if they are allready dead. Try to explain that to some people, its in one ear and out the other.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Spike

[quote=bronko22000;3519491]Well PA I would like to say I am on your side. But I am not. And if you father has trouble counting points, then he may need better glasses or may just have to give it up. I know that's harsh but just the way it is. Sounds to me like you and your father are a meat hunters and just want to kill a deer. Nothing wrong with that either. Just buy an anterless tag and shoot a doe.

First my dad doesnt need glasses and i think he gave up after all the 40 years he deer hunted, its sad he just likes to go out with me, and in rifle season usually you see deer running right? there not just gonna stop and let you count the points. its not easy. and another thing, you said just shoot a doe, another reason why the herd is down so much. its hard for guys to count points and dont wanna risk anything and just shoot does, and get multiple tags. with the two week combined..does are just getting slaughtered.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

You can't fire on running does either...gotta scope the head for buttons, and more likely than not it's a small spike alone, or doe in pairs. AR made the game more challenging, safer, less brown it's downers, less shots on running deer, less fathers killing their own sons. What more could we want? I jumped a half racked something huge the other day. You know one jump, two jump, and poof gone. One less idiot peppering the woods with lead the better.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Spike

wait did you just call my dad an idiot? i didnt mean hauling the mail dumba$$, even if there just trotting its tough to count points. yea what more could we want, the AR made the game so much more challenging, it just made guys shoot more does, which in the long run, made the popluation plunge almost to nothing. and if you really did call my dad an idiot, FAH Q
Old 12-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long gone are the heydays at Manzenedo, Hiawatha, Mt. Allen, Porters Lake, ect. ect. Back in the 80-90's, 100's of club members would line up roadside, and perform deer drives. Now ZERO!!!

You need to get your facts straight before making claims like that. It is illegal to hunt deer with more than 25 hunters in a group. Further, the clubs still make drives for deer and bear.
gotta scope the head for buttons
No, you do not have to check for buttons!!

Last edited by bluebird2; 12-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PAThwacker
You can't fire on running does either...gotta scope the head for buttons, and more likely than not it's a small spike alone, or doe in pairs. AR made the game more challenging, safer, less brown it's downers, less shots on running deer, less fathers killing their own sons. What more could we want? I jumped a half racked something huge the other day. You know one jump, two jump, and poof gone. One less idiot peppering the woods with lead the better.
Yeah that made some slow down and look. But there is still quite a few that still throw the lead first,look later. A lot of slobs and greed in the deer woods.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact is that bigger racked bucks are being harvested statewide and there are a lot more happy hunters. The 1 1/2 year old 'dumb' bucks that got shot every year prior to the AR have gotten a bit warier and therefore harder to find.
In 2008 13 % of our 926K hunters harvested a buck and only 3% of those 926K hunters harvested a 2.5+buck that was the result of ARs. Since over half of those 2.5+ bucks had 7 points or less, only around 1.5% of PA hunters harvested a buck 2.5+ buck with 8 or more points in 2008.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blkpowder
A lot of slobs and greed in the deer woods.
Its really hard to feel sorry for these people when they don't see deer.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is only true if you are a self centered ,selfish individual that has no concern for the future of hunting in PA.

If you are one of the few that believe the PGC propaganda, the PA hunters are harvesting all the deer that are available on a sustainable basis. Therefore, if those hunters that aren't seeing deer ,hunted harder and harvested more deer ,they would reduce the herd even more and we would have fewer successful hunters in the future. Is that what you want?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I defy anyone on this board, any other board, the PGC or the DCNR to take me to any uncut hardwood ridge in the Tioga State Forest and show me an oak seedling or sapling, or any other plant other than trillium, that has sprouted up anywhere where the sun isn't getting through since 2002. It just ain't happening. Where there's sun, there's lush growth. Where there isn't sun, which encompasses about 90% of the forest, there's nothing. Our herd needed to be reduced because of this, I realize that. But our herd didn't need to be cut back as far as it has been. The deer are getting the blame for 100+ years of poor forestry practices plain and simple.

Do you have some kind of a link to a survey or some info to back up that statement about hunter satisfaction? I'm real curious about that. As for killing big racked bucks, we've been killing big racked bucks in Tioga County for the last 30 years. That's nothing new.
Amen Manyspurs, and in Potter County. Remember the days of the Potter Enterprise Big Buck Contest at Goodenough's? One time I entered a 10 point, 16" spread, with long tines just for kicks (3.5 year old), and it was a midget compared to the winner. It was taken from the southern part of the county where there were no farms.

A year later I passed on a questionable shot at a 10 pointer with a 20"+ spread. We spotted him at night before the season. They were there, you just had to find them. But if you wanted to take a smaller deer, the opportunity was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.