Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Another rainy, crappy weather opener in PA >

Another rainy, crappy weather opener in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Another rainy, crappy weather opener in PA

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

No browse no mast trees, no acorns------> sounds like WMU3D. No deer, no squirrels, no beards leads to no hunters!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2 cents

I might as well get in on this one (again).....The PGC sucks and so did the weather on Monday's opening day of gun season here in southwestern, Pennsylvania........my 2 cents and then some.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

I can't complain, I been seeing deer every day. No nice bucks yet.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

It started off 52 degrees, and overcast, it ended 37 degrees and overcast. It only rained for about 5 minutes all day. It sounded like a shooting gallery above me, someone was in my spot and thought it was the neighbors land, I didn't feel like making it an issue so I went to another stand. I let a basket rack 6 walk by, he bedded 25 yards above me for over 20 minutes without anything in between us. It was very cool, he was my lookout for a while, and I was on the ground, lol.

I snapped a pic while he was leaving. I'm going back Saturday and hoping the hunters above me drive the hill out and they all run down my way.

Last edited by WestVirginiaBrent; 12-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RidgeFACTOR
I might as well get in on this one (again).....The PGC sucks and so did the weather on Monday's opening day of gun season here in southwestern, Pennsylvania........my 2 cents and then some.
..........+5. Never have I loathed an agency that I had nothing but respect for so much.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 12-02-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a nice dioe at 7:30 am....saw a total of about 10 doe, and NO horns at all. On the whole mt. we hunted, which was full of guys in the am, there were only 3 doe including my own, and a basket rack 7 point and a decent 9 point. It was decent at first, but a little breezy, rain started around 10 am, and most guys packed it in and didn't return. We stayed out till 4 pm, and very little shooting within earshot especially after 9 am. Hunted Centre co on Tuesday...had some shooting at doe on drives, and a boy with us got his first buck, a fat spike, on the first drive. Didn't see as many deer on the farm in Centre that we expected. Nice weather...cold,a light dusting of snow, but windy on the ridgetops. Overall, from what I'm hearing/ observing, it was a very disappointing opener for most.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have a funny feeling the truth about our herd will come to a head this season.. it is way way way down.. very few people are killing deer in my area buck or doe...hardly any shooting to speak of.. very few sightings..heck I saw more bears than I did deer...something is way way out of line here.. hopefully the real harvest numbers will show up with this online reporting... I look for a real hunter outcry after this one..I thought things were bad but they are far worse than I originally thought.....
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Drove around yesterday at first light to check on hunting pressure. A fairly decent turnout for a weekday. Sat off the road til 9am. Heard one shot fired at 7:35 and one at 8:23. Then checked a couple more area's for hunting pressure. I have to admit,this is the slowest action I've seen around me for awhile. Will get a better perspective this Saturday. Weather conditions look to be perfect and should have a good turnout from hunters.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

There is no lack of hunter presence here. We've had as many if not more than most years. Last few years guys have been coming here from lots of other "worse" areas thinking this is the place to be. Even with the huge influx of hunters from far and wide the buck harvest in the unit has continued to plummet in recent years.

Frank, that internet reporting isnt gonna do a damn thing imho. A small percentage of reports will most likely be all thats done that way. Lots of guys without pcs and Id venture a guess many dont even know its available. Pgc is still gonna impart a bogus noncompliance percentage similar to the 60% or so theyve added the last couple , which interestingly according to them noncompliance is growing. Not sure if that is due to all the distrust and hunter disgust and them not wanting to bother giving data to cut their own throats or if its just pullled out of pgcs own arses and they need to keep "upping" that percentage to cushion the blow of the decreasing harvests and severe reduction at least a little. We have had modern day low harvests on buck recently. Could you imagine how much even lower theyd have been if "modifications" werent continuously made to the extremely low numbers?