Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting?? >

Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Old 06-02-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Black Bear hunting in Maine has become a regular routine for hunters that have made the trip and had a chance to hunt a wilderness full of bear. Maine boasts a population of near 35,000 animals which put' s the State in the top 5 for places to hunt in the USA. Hunting with bait and hounds is permitted and hunters who hire a Registered Guide that has an established route that is dedicatedly maintained with fresh baits will almost certainly get a crack at a bear!! Some hunters may see as many as 20 bear in a weeks hunt, so long as they pay attention to scent, sound and movement. Animals tipping the scales at 300 to 400 pounds are not un-common, and some reach 500 to 600.
Can it get any better?? I think not!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

What are you smoking?

It' s not all flowers and roses like you paint it. It' s not bad hunting but your tail is a little long.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:19 PM

T_in_PA, have you ever hunted in Maine? I do every year and have no problem seeing more than my fair share of Bear. The most I have ever seen in a season is
25 and that was a 5 day period with a total of 20 hours on stand. If you have hunted in maine and had a bad experience, it could be because you hunted with the wrong outfitter or you personally dont sit still enough, make too much noise or do not control your scent well enough (common mistakes that a rookie bear hunter would make)
Old 06-05-2003, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I have never hunted Maine for anything,(been there alot, and have seen lots of big game) I hardly think you could call it the silent giant for black bear.

Maine has been FAMOUS for its black bear hunting since at least the late 1960`s.
As a young boy I can remember reading about Phil Copps bear camps, and the fantastic success rates he had.

I take it you reside in Maine?

Old 06-05-2003, 01:00 PM

I was going to respond to this several days ago and decided against it. However, as a life long (so far) resident of Maine, I believe Marlin 450 is embellishing a little (lot). Yes, there are 400 pound bears, 500 pound bears, and might be a 600 pounder roaming around. The average, taken over bait, is closer to 125-150 and not everyone, even with reputable outfitters gets a shot at bear, especially after the first week of baiting season. Many of the bigger bears are taken with hounds.

Yes, there are a lot of bear, yes I can go for a ride most every night and see a bear, but let' s be honest, they aren' t a secret and they aren' t huge as implied.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:48 PM

Well Portage, I think that if you take your time and re-read the original post, you will see that I never implied that all Maine Bear are huge. And as for your 125 to 150 lb average weight, who made you the expert on average weights? If you take the time to read studies taken by Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, they say the average weight is 250 to 400 lbs and males have top weights of 600 lbs., are they full of s&*# also!!!
I also said that if you find a reputable guide that is dedicated to his baits, you would almost certainly get a crack at a bear, that does not mean anything other than what it reads.
I also said can it get any better, I think not. Last time I knew, everyone is entitled to their opinion and as a person that deals with guides, hunters and state officials on a regular basis, I think I am convinced that Maine is the place to hunt.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:40 AM

Well, Marlin 450, I took the time to re-read your post more times than I care to admit. I have also read adnausum, IF&W management reports. I use IF&W' s reports and am in contact with Wildlife Biologist on nearly a DAILY basis for work. Lots of information on age distribution, not much information on weight classes.

The state record bear was shot in the Crystal bog area over hounds. Now I may be wrong, and I' ll admit it, but I believe it dressed at approximately 580 pounds, could very well have been 680. Big bear, no doubt. Close personal friends and family members have been working in the woods and/or guiding in the Allagash region for many years (in some cases generations). Several own sporting camps and do nothing but guide bear and deer hunter. They consider any bear that dressed at 280 or better to be a big bear. They do in fact take several each year that dress 325 to 400.

When I worked for IF&W I weighted a lot of bears and I' ll stick by my claim.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:01 PM

Portage, you know as well as I do that actual weights of bear that are shot in Maine are not required to be checked while tagging bear. With this in mind, do you think that bear are killed all over the state and could be in the classification of 300 to 400 lbs.? Also, are you talking live weight or dressed weight? I know for a fact that live weight is used by a big part of the guides in the state as well as Canada.
Now, all I am saying in my original post is that Maine is a great choice if hunting for Bear. I am not claiming that we are the best place for trophy animals, only that we have a good population of 300 to 400 lb. bear and a person who hires a reputable guide to take them could get a crack at one if they pay attention to sound, scent and movement. In my opinion, we are the silent giant because all you normally here about is hunting Canada, which is great hunting for trophy animals. Maine has it all, trophies, high numbers of bear, choice of hound or bait hunts, beautiful country and a good choice of highly trained professional Guides.
What more can you ask for??

Old 06-08-2003, 04:26 PM

I' ve lived and hunted in Maine my entire life. I' ve only seen 3 bears ever. Granted I don' t hunt for them but spend much time in the woods in the fall. Seems like there would be more around. Have no idea towards size but seems like people are fighting a worthless battle over hap hazard conditions. Lets grow up and enjoy the hunt more.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:56 PM

janc, the average hunter would not see many bear and most do not ever see one in the wild.

Quick Reply: Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.