Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting?? >

Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

Old 06-12-2003, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Is Maine the silent giant for Black Bear Hunting??

I can' t believe this bear crap. You mean to tell me that ONLY an experienced expert hunter can shoot or SEE a bear. Sounds like bull to me. Everyone knows its just the right spot at the right time, just like deer hunting. Keep still, scent control and a quality area, all you need. I' m embarassed to say that I live in the same area as you Marlin, only 20 mins from waterville. Maine is a whitetail, and moose state. Always will be. Bear will always be third....
Old 06-13-2003, 12:08 PM

I do have to admit, you have to be statue still for quality chances at nice bears. Bears are so quiet. They come in, sit down and watch the bait and you do not even know they are there. I caught one doing that to me a couple years ago. The woods were a little more open than most areas and I caught just a little movement out of the corner of my eye. A glance over my shoulder and there sat a bruin on the hill watching the baited area. He was back there a good half hour that I know about.

Pass right by Waterville. Have friends that have a cabin there. Does alot of fishing and not much hunting at all. Pass right through Ashland also and right into Portage, hang a left and into the NMW for another 20 some miles.

Yeah.. I know where you' re at.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:46 AM

janc, I never said only an expert hunter can see a bear, but your chances are greater if you can sit super still!! You know, it is funny that you say the right place and the right time, because that is my favorite saying when talking about ROOKIE HUNTERS that just walk into the woods and think they know how to hunt. I have been there myself and have learned that if you want to be successfull at hunting, you got to listen up and learn from people that are successfull all the time.
As for Bear hunting being third, you could not be more wrong. Actual Maine hunters may put them third for themselves, because most of us never learned how to hunt them, but it is big buisness in Northern Maine!!
If you have never hunted Bear, you should give it a try, it is a great experience!!
Old 06-14-2003, 07:01 AM

T-in-PA, it is amazing how quite they are, they are as stealthy as a cat when they want to be.
Are you coming up for a vacation?
You know Waterville is a small town, I probably know your buddy.
If you want to stop in and say hello, just send me an email and I will give you my name and address.

Take care,

Marlin
Old 06-15-2003, 11:41 AM

Every hunter is a rookie at some point. doesn' t matter how much scouting you do, if your not where the game is your most likely not going to see anything regardless of skill level. I don' t really want to compare credentials with you but if I have to stack my trophies against yours, i' m fairly confident in the results being in my favor. Too bad your so narrow minded to not realize that bear hunting isn' t as profitable and enjoyable to more hunters. Sure it may bring in big numbers up north, but compare the profitability of that to say the moose permit application. I' m sure more money is made in that than bears. Come on 78,000 applications, go cry me the kennebec if your so stuck in your bear den.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:27 PM

janc, it' s not the trophy that counts, it' s the experience you had when you got it.
Hunting bear is the experience of a lifetime, dont shoot the messenger!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:28 AM

Marlin 450,

I agree 100% with your last post.