Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY opening day, who dropped one? >

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY opening day, who dropped one?

I pulled a zero myself. had a great spot picked out deep in some laurel, but some guy was already set up on the trail leading in, so I backed out and set up on the other side of the swamp, just picked a tree a sat all day . beautiful day at least. havent hunted public land ,opening day in years, it was nice to be in the big woods and hearing all the gun shots in the distance.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 11-21-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Spent 9 hours in a tree today...never saw a deer...heard quite a few shots in the AM...was hunting private farm land so minimal hunters and the section I was in didn't get pushed...so go figure!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I saw a doe at 9:30 and ended up shooting a small 7 point at 2:15.Those were the only deer i saw all day.Shooting was minimal

Last edited by absolut40; 11-22-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default Antler restrictions

Spent the opener in Sullivan County, NY trying to deal with the newest stupidity that they have shoved down our throats.
In the WMU where MY land is situated, bucks now need to have at least three point on one antler, and a minimum of one point on the other. Doe tags available only on a preference point basis. Using a typical deer as a model, this means that anything under 5 points is illegal.
To make a long story short, in 5 hours we saw, withing easy shooting range, 3 spikes (one really big), 2 four pointers, and at least 12 does. Saw 1 "legal" buck (at least 8 points) go by, through the woods at about a gazillion miles an hour, no chance for a shot.
Now, I don't have any problem with "trophy" hunting, but I am a meat hunter. I utilize the entire deer, and antler stew tastes like crap.
It looks like I will not be hunting in New York any more, and this really stinks. New York's deer herd is taking over everyones land, mine included, and the dopes in Albany are making it harder to thin the herd.
All I can do is to try to hit them where it hurts, in the wallet. I will spend no more license money in N.Y.
My rant has come to an end.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, I wouldn't like the antler restrictions if they were in my area...I'm a meat hunter as well. BUT I did not see any deer yesterday or this AM...so the deer herd taking over...right now hard to believe with what I'm seeing... Good luck next outing
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

day one i had a big 8 point about 60 yards away but stayed in the thickest stuff there was (didn't get big by being stupid ) today a got freezer meat now i can work on the big boy
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I filled a DMP first thing yesterday morning. One shot...one deer down. There was lots of shooting going on here in my corner of Steuben County. Here are a few nice ones that I know of that were killed around the house yesterday...

I saw this guy several times over the summer/fall on a farm that I turkey hunt right up the road. He was out breeding a doe in a field at first light. Bad move on the opening morning of deer season. A buddy of mine went and gathered somes guys up to do a drive and they whacked him. Really nice buck, woulda been a monster next year. He had some G5's budding out on both beams. Apparently, there was a bigger buck that went into the drive but never came out too...

This cool looking triple mainbeamed buck was killed by a 15 year old (first deer)...

Here's a beautiful 3.5 year old that I called "Split-brow." I've been watching this buck on my family's property for the past two years and was really hoping that he'd make it through season again. Unfortunately for him, he decided to come out before dark following a doe and met up with a 7MM-08 bullet. I hated to see him laying in the back of my buddy's truck like this...another buck that could have been a real toad in another year. Oh well, so it goes...

Trailcam pics from this past spring and late summer...

Old 11-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

No luck in Herkimer County... Saw 5 does but not a single buck.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I saw 5 deer yesterday, all does and fawns. My nephew got a 4 pt just after first light. Today it was really quiet in the woods here in our area of 6R. Didnt hear any shooting from surrounding properties, only far off shots in the distance. I thought today would be good but I didnt see anything.
MIKE
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bucks guys, congrats. hunted west point today, what a waste of time! they didnt let the 1st person on line, sign out to hunt till 7am, got in the stand at 8:15 ,saw crap except for 2 does running about 40MPH, 150 yds in front of me. then at 4pm ,some idiot pulls over on the side of the road, in a little sports car & decided to take an unauthorized hike(not even hunting or wearing orange) through my area Im done w/ public land for the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.