Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Finally got some action.....but >

Finally got some action.....but

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Finally got some action.....but

Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

WTF is happening to this site. Anyone no of any fourms with a little less negativity and a bunch less A$$ Holes?Anyone no of any fourms with a little less negativity and a bunch less A$$ Holes?
Try this....disney.com. But I'd suggest leaving the vulgarity elsewhere. I doubt the kids would like it.

Oh boy here we go again more Hunters against Hunters.
Hunters against hunters eh? Let me clue you in on a little newsflash Hero....It's been hunters against hunters for a very long time. Stolen stands, stolen trailcams, bushwhacking stands etc etc etc. So save the hunters against hunters mantra for the Walt board. It don't wash here.

PS....you might want to ask some of those Disney kids to give you some spelling pointers.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 11-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can see manyspurs point. A whitetail is a very cautious animal. Even under ideal conditions a 'perfect' shot hard to make. An alert deer can duck an arrow even as close as 25 yds - their reaction time is that quick. A walking deer is moving faster than it seems and you will probably hit one in the guts if you attempt that shot.
Since Saturday I've had a lot of buck 25 yds and under. I was holding out for a nice 8 pt I saw on my trail cam earlier this year. But on Monday I had a very heavy beamed 7 pt at 23 yds. but could not get him to stop in either of my 3 shooting lanes. He did stop once between the lanes with only a couple small branches in the way. But experience has taught me that it doesn't take a very big twig to deflect an arrow so I let him walk. But it was all for the better cause on Tuesday morning, a nice fat 9 pt walked right into me and actually sniffed the buck pee I sprinkled at the base of my tree. Experience again has taught me to never, ever take a quartering to shot. I stood still and patiently waited until he turned and walked away. As he did, I slowly came to full draw. When he got 15 yds out, quartering away, I softly bleated at him - he stopped, and my Magnus Stinger slammed into the boiler room, thru both lungs and out the other side. (High Country bow set at 60 lb.) He ran 50 yds and I watched him lay down, and a few seconds later started frantically kicking and expired.
I guess what I am trying to say is that bowhunting requires a lot of dedication, patience and discipline. You have to know your limits and don't push them in the woods. Marginal shots have no place in bowhunting. And if you ever make a less than ideal hit, which you will someday, do not go after that deer right away. If it is within sight, stay put. If not in sight, quietly back out and go home for a couple hours. Live by the adage "When in doubt, back out." In a wooded area a gut shot or liver shot deer will usually run only about 100 - 150 yds and lie down. Liver shot will probably take about 2 - 3 hours for the animal to expire. A gut shot deer maybe as long as 6 - 8 hours. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
As he did, I slowly came to full draw. When he got 15 yds out, quartering away, I softly bleated at him - he stopped, and my Magnus Stinger slammed into the boiler room, thru both lungs and out the other side. (High Country bow set at 60 lb.) He ran 50 yds and I watched him lay down, and a few seconds later started frantically kicking and expired.
I guess what I am trying to say is that bowhunting requires a lot of dedication, patience and discipline. .
That's the way it's done and congrats on your deer.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pahunter60
dude relax
The gentleman was just giving you sound,ethical advice. You may think he was a little over the top with his choice of words,but that should tell you he is very dedicated to his sport. My advice if you wish not to be disciplined verbally. Next time a animal offers you a marginal shot. Don't take it! Dude;relax! There is always tomorrow. If not,then next year!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
So save the hunters against hunters mantra for the Walt board. It don't wash here.

PS....you might want to ask some of those Disney kids to give you some spelling pointers.
As long as there are people like you around I am sure you are correct.

This young man is obviously well "young". Are you telling me when you were lets say 17 you didn't make mistakes or take marginal shots? When I was that age all I wanted to do was kill a deer so I could be cool like Dad. For a young man this can be a lot of pressure and can cause them to take a marginal shot.

As far as the spelling comment it just goes to show others what kind of a person you are!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys, I read all these posts. And to be honest, I do not know any of you well enough to make any judgements. I do believe that Manyspurs may be a bit rough around the edges. But I also believe that what he was trying to tell this young hunter, al be it in a crude manner, was not to take a marginal shot. This young man lacks the experience that us older guys can relate to. And like the one poster said, don't force the shot, there is always tomorrow. You don't have to kill to have a successful hunt. The fact that you had a nice buck in bow range is an acomplishment in itself. It shows you are doing some things correctly. Just be patient, your chance will come.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

This young man is obviously well "young". Are you telling me when you were lets say 17 you didn't make mistakes or take marginal shots?
No. When I was 17, I never took marginal shots. When I was 12, I never took marginal shots. When I was 25, I never took marginal shots. When I was 45, I never took marginal shots. I'm 52, and I still don't take marginal shots. Know why? Because I was taught not to. I was taught to respect the animal enough to not take a shot that I wasn't sure of. Know why? I'll tell you why. Because I would have had to face the folks that taught me how to hunt. That's why. They taught me better than that. No excuses.

BlkPwder and Bronko said it all. Flinging arrows and taking potshots at targets that are obstructed by brush is not only unethical, but unneccesary. There's tons of information available just about everywhere you would like to look regarding ethical bowhunting behaviour. Considering that this young man can't be old enough to not have been able to grasp and remember what was preached at the HTE course he had to take is highly unlikely.

It's these kinds of antics that give hunters, bowhunters in particular, a bad name and these types of hunters are a bigger threat to our sport than any kind of division from within. That's the messege. Take it and run with it or turn a blind eye to it. The choice is yours

I still say he outta be grounded for a month.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 11-12-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

The kid screwed up, point it out to him and let it go, no sense making it personal. I'm sure he's not the first kid to ever make a bad choice while hunting.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Spike

im just saying manyspurs, youre acting like i made a terrible shot and didnt bother looking for it. ok maybe i shouldnt have taken the shot but i did and missed, i mean it was the first deer i had a chance with while hunting with a bow. I WAS ANXIOUS, im sorry, just dont act like i committed a crime

Last edited by pahunter60; 11-16-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

oh yea camosteel, we lost in the playoffs thanks for saying good luck though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.