Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Finally got some action.....but >

Finally got some action.....but

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Finally got some action.....but

Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every experience you have in the woods will teach you something that can help you the next time you are out. Just learn from this mistake and now in the future you know that any kind of little branch can deflect your shot. You were lucky to completely miss because you could of hit somewhere that would of killed the buck later on but you might not have found him. Patience is a key to bow hunting but the anxiety can get to you. Also dont let limited time in the woods cause you to shoot a deer you arent happy with or take a questionable shot. Shooting a deer only takes a few minutes and could happen at any time. Good luck next time!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

pahunter - the point we are trying to make to you, and I am sure you are aware by now, is that the shot may not have been illegal, but it was unethical. I'm sure you felt anxious seeing that nice buck within bow range. And you probably was thinking, 'If I can just sneak and arrow through that little hole..." But you have to try and restrain yourself. That is all part of the bowhunting challenge. If you put your time in scouting, proper stand placement, scent control and spending time on stand your chances will come.
The area I shot my buck last week is a place where no one would think of deer hunting. It is a 150 yd wide strip of timber bordered on the north by a creek with high vertical banks and on the south by a highway and there are huge patches of greenbriar and scrub oak where the deer can hide. From my stand I can see the vehicles driving my. But when the wind is right, the place smells like a barnyard from all the scrapes in the area. From Saturday until Tuesday morning, I saw 7 buck with 5 of them being shooters. Patience, patience, patience. (maybe once you have kids you will understand................: )