Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYB/NYSMLA proposal >

NYB/NYSMLA proposal

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYB/NYSMLA proposal

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

We're not bashing the idea's. Lengthening the season is a great idea, but if you asked how many people would want the youth program, I'm sure they would say it would be abused by too many greedy hunters. It's just like how many women shoot deer on opening day. Kinda staggers the mind. These groups are assets to our sport and we applaud there efforts. It's just a shame we can look at their proposals and see where the abuse could fall.
It's like when they moved the season to open on a Saturday, hooray, but what that did in a lot of our areas was the hunters go right to their camps and stay there. Before, they'd come up on Saturday, scout out the areas, go out to eat and party the Friday and Saturday, some even on Sunday, and then you wouldn't see them as often. Now, you don't see them hardly at all. I've talked to a lot of restaurant owners and they've really noticed the difference. The hunters are around but not as often.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Primitive would mean flintlock type rifles. This will never pass. How many people hunt with these types of muzzleloaders? Not many. With this proposal the bowhunters association just threw out a bone to make themselves look flexible for a change. In return they want to start hunting on October 1. They know that a "primitive" season wouldn't disrupt their hunting season one little bit because there will be awful few out there with such weapons. And I can't see hunters running to their nearest gunshops to buy such "primitive" muzzleloaders for such a season either. Heck, most hunters are bitching up a storm over a $30 license increase, why would they now want to shell out more money for another muzzleloader when the inlines that most have could do the job here??
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
Primitive would mean flintlock type rifles. This will never pass. How many people hunt with these types of muzzleloaders? Not many. With this proposal the bowhunters association just threw out a bone to make themselves look flexible for a change. In return they want to start hunting on October 1. They know that a "primitive" season wouldn't disrupt their hunting season one little bit because there will be awful few out there with such weapons. And I can't see hunters running to their nearest gunshops to buy such "primitive" muzzleloaders for such a season either. Heck, most hunters are bitching up a storm over a $30 license increase, why would they now want to shell out more money for another muzzleloader when the inlines that most have could do the job here??
Steve-again i agree with you 100%. I really dont see a "primitive" season or a special muzzleloader youth season gettin much participation either. With that said i still am not thrilled they would choose to put it the week before the regular season. If they want to lengthen the bow season ,fine. Even as an avid bowhunter i am ok with the season opening as it does now. Steve863-do you bowhunt? are you happy with the seasons the way they are now?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might go out with a bow once or twice in the fall, but I really don't consider myself much of a bowhunter. To me it's more of a scouting trip. One needs to devote way more time with a bow and being that my hunting area is 3 hours drive away I somehow don't think it even warrants too many trips. I actually prefer the mid October opening. I do like to go after turkeys with a shotgun. If the bow season opened at the same time as fall turkey season I think I would be torn as to which I should hunt. Yeah, I know turkeys could be had with a bow, but I somehow don't picture myself killing one with it!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

wow a 3hr drive to your hunting area!! where is that and why do you have to drive so far? No wonder why you are so firmly against ARs-I wouldnt want someone tellin me what i can and cant shoot after driving 3hrs. After hearing your circumstances i realize how lucky i am to have what little land i can hunt close to home!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live on Long Island and lease land and a house from a friend in Delaware county. WMU 4P. Long Island holds some deer but the suburban hunting is not for me. I don't want to see the ocean or peoples backyard swimming pools when I hunt. I prefer quieter more rural places when I hunt.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "primitive" they are talking about is flintlock AND side lock percdussion cap.
Lots of the sidelocks out there already and its not hard or real expensive to set one up.

I do not want to be out in the last/best week of bowhunting in full camo with a lot of guns with ranges far exceeding grouse or pheasant loads.

Bad, bad idea.

Steve
Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
I live on Long Island and lease land and a house from a friend in Delaware county. WMU 4P. Long Island holds some deer but the suburban hunting is not for me. I don't want to see the ocean or peoples backyard swimming pools when I hunt. I prefer quieter more rural places when I hunt.
Funny how people differ-i like that suburban hunting and have tried for a few years to find spots on L.I. as well as Westchester County to hunt. But without knowing someone or living around that area it is tough to gain permission. I live in northern Dutchess county-you should give our area a try sometime. There are tons of deer here-definitely a piece of cake to just fill your tags. Which is why i started "trophy" hunting. i was just looking for a bigger challenge in my own area. We have a TON of turkeys up here too which seems to interest you. Private land is tough to get as anywhere but leasing is becoming more and more popular which is an option. There is also quite a bit of public land around which is pretty much empty til gun season. My buddy shoots some monster toms and he shoots them all on state land 5 min from my house. shoot me a pm sometime if you are interested in checkin out our area. i am about 2hrs from the whitestone bridge. Sorry guys didnt mean to hijack the thread here.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
The "primitive" they are talking about is flintlock AND side lock percdussion cap.
Lots of the sidelocks out there already and its not hard or real expensive to set one up.

I do not want to be out in the last/best week of bowhunting in full camo with a lot of guns with ranges far exceeding grouse or pheasant loads.

Bad, bad idea.

Steve
SteveBNy-thanx for clearing up the primitive term for me. I agree with you too-bad idea!!! They can keep the two first weeks of october closed if it means that either.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
I am a NYB member. On 9/18 I rec'd a letter from NYB about this very proposal. So obviously NYB is contacting its members. Plus NYB is doing this proposal before the scheduled DEC meetings. I don't see the problem. All I see is more bashing of a organization that continues to work for hunters. NYB joins forces with the Muzzleloader Assoc. again showing how willing they are to help, and work with others. But for this they get grief. It seems no matter what they do for hunters they get bashed by some, and its getting old.

Yes they sent a letter, AFTER drafting the proposal and agreeing to it with the NYSMLA. I have not heard of a single member that knew of this or was asked for their input. And the ones liking it are rarer then hen's teeth.

Here are a couple direct quotes from the NYB's website on why you should be a member:
1. As a Southern Zone Bowhunter, you don't have the intrusion of muzzleloaders, crossbows or other firearms during the archery-only season. Why, because of NYB.

2. Whether you hunt private land, public land or even archery-only areas. If the Archery Season is shortened, taken away, or becomes usurped with other weapons, it affects you too. NYB defends bow seasons.

Isn't this proposal the direct opposite of the above? I see nothing about bringing guns into the last, BEST week of bow season as a defense of that season. Rather it is a direct attack on it.
My only hope is that the DEC realizes that a proposal from the 1% of the NYB that are only 1% of the bowhunters of NYS is not to be taken seriously without input from the other 198,000 bowhunters.

SteveBNY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.