Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYB/NYSMLA proposal >

NYB/NYSMLA proposal

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYB/NYSMLA proposal

Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have a spot to hunt in Columbia county which is the next county north of Dutchess for a good many years. The caretaker of the land decided he wanted to be the only one hunting the land so there went the spot! It was always pretty easy to draw a doe permit in that WMU, but these days you need preference points to get one, so I actually am not missing the place too much. The place in Delaware county has been productive enough and convenient since we also lease the house from him. Sure beats those dingy motels and eating in the greasy diners. We get to skin and butcher our deer up there in the barn so there is no need to do lug the whole carcass back down. It is also a very scenic property with great views of the catskills. I am sure there are better places hunting wise, but I think I would be stupid to go elsewhere with all the fringe benefits I have at this place. And the hunting isn't all that bad either, although there will be days where you won't see much more than a squirrel or chipmunk!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Yes they sent a letter, AFTER drafting the proposal and agreeing to it with the NYSMLA. I have not heard of a single member that knew of this or was asked for their input. And the ones liking it are rarer then hen's teeth.

Here are a couple direct quotes from the NYB's website on why you should be a member:
1. As a Southern Zone Bowhunter, you don't have the intrusion of muzzleloaders, crossbows or other firearms during the archery-only season. Why, because of NYB.

2. Whether you hunt private land, public land or even archery-only areas. If the Archery Season is shortened, taken away, or becomes usurped with other weapons, it affects you too. NYB defends bow seasons.

Isn't this proposal the direct opposite of the above? I see nothing about bringing guns into the last, BEST week of bow season as a defense of that season. Rather it is a direct attack on it.
My only hope is that the DEC realizes that a proposal from the 1% of the NYB that are only 1% of the bowhunters of NYS is not to be taken seriously without input from the other 198,000 bowhunters.

SteveBNY
Great point Steve-couldnt agree more. Pretty hypocritical on NYBs part if you ask me.
Originally Posted by Steve863
I used to have a spot to hunt in Columbia county which is the next county north of Dutchess for a good many years. The caretaker of the land decided he wanted to be the only one hunting the land so there went the spot! It was always pretty easy to draw a doe permit in that WMU, but these days you need preference points to get one, so I actually am not missing the place too much. The place in Delaware county has been productive enough and convenient since we also lease the house from him. Sure beats those dingy motels and eating in the greasy diners. We get to skin and butcher our deer up there in the barn so there is no need to do lug the whole carcass back down. It is also a very scenic property with great views of the catskills. I am sure there are better places hunting wise, but I think I would be stupid to go elsewhere with all the fringe benefits I have at this place. And the hunting isn't all that bad either, although there will be days where you won't see much more than a squirrel or chipmunk!
Sounds like a great place you got there-and we too have those days where squirrels and chippies are all you see. Ive yet too find a place where this isnt the case. to be honest im glad i havnt-it makes it a little more special when the deer finally do decide to come out and play. GL to you this season wherever you hunt!!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hope DEC is aware that NY Bowhunters inc. IS NOT a true representation of how the majority of New York Bowhunters really feel. I just need to point at NY Bowhunters Narrow minded, selfish, and ignorant view on Crossbows.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I like it the way it is. I would'nt change the seasons. The first two weeks in October are not all that great for hunting anyway. If the week before regular season opened up to primitive, that would be like losing the best bow hunting week to gun season. Every one around here has a side lock muzzleloader.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again SteveBNy you take the opportunity to find fault, and bash NYB anyway you can. Its gotten old, really old. So I guess a organization isn't allowed to make a change in direction for the overall good of hunting? Now becasue they've made a different proposal from their standard form you chose to try, and make NYB out to be hypocrites.
Last I knew members voted on executive board members to make such club decisions as this one. I'm VP of a ATV organization, and trust me you don't have time to contact every member on new proposals. How many times has the DEC shoved things down our throats without notifying all hunters? Did it ever cross your mind that maybe this needed to be done before the upcoming DEC meetings. Did it ever cross your mind that this proposal was done to be heard by all hunters attending these meetings? Did you know NYB changed locations, and addresses so the move very well could've tributed to the timing. Or maybe it was trying to work w/MLA on this proposal. But I guess you don't like to think of those things.
I left this forum for awhile, becasue I got sick of all the negativity created on this site. I see alot of that hasn't changed. Regardless of what you think about NYB, this organization has done alot for bowhunters, our youth, the physically challenged, and our fighting soldiers. But I guess you only like to find the negativity. I guess I'll go back to not wasting my time on this forum again. In fact I wish I never returned.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Spike

I think the opening of bow season should open up 1 week earlier than it does now. I don't think we need a designated muzzleloader season because we already have a firearms season now. I would like to see the regular firearms season open up 1 week earlier. I also think a 1 week antlerless only season after the end of the regular firearms season would be nice.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now becasue they've made a different proposal from their standard form you chose to try, and make NYB out to be hypocrites.
Not trying anything - just pointing out the facts.

I'm VP of a ATV organization, and trust me you don't have time to contact every member on new proposals. How many times has the DEC shoved things down our throats without notifying all hunters? Did it ever cross your mind that maybe this needed to be done before the upcoming DEC meetings. Did it ever cross your mind that this proposal was done to be heard by all hunters attending these meetings? Did you know NYB changed locations, and addresses so the move very well could've tributed to the timing. Or maybe it was trying to work w/MLA on this proposal. But I guess you don't like to think of those things.
A list of excuses for a back door deal to let guns in the archery season - and the best week at that. The reason only a handful where in on it is because it would never fly with the membership who charged the board members with representing them by electing them. Someone saying they are keeping guns out of the bow season and that is why you should join them, and then they do a 180 deg flip is ok with you? It isn't for the vast majority of members that have responded so far.

I left this forum for awhile, becasue I got sick of all the negativity created on this site. I see alot of that hasn't changed.
Not agreeing and fighting with a proposal seen by many as a huge blow to the bow season is creating negativity?

Pointing out that it comes from a group that represents less then 1% of the bowhunters of the state is creating negativity? And in that group, there is a handful would run i and make such major policy changes with NO input from the members is creating negativity?

To be silent on these matters and let it slide thru unnoticed would not only be negative, but contribute to the decline of the bowseason sought by this proposal.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with the majority here leave it alone I wouldn't mind getting more hunting time ,esp. seeing as how they jacked up the cost this year but I do not want to share bow season with guns . The peacefulness of bow season is why I like bow hunting the most
Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry buckalley, you can preach all you want but there are a lot of us that agree with the statement below.

Originally Posted by Avalanche
I hope DEC is aware that NY Bowhunters inc. IS NOT a true representation of how the majority of New York Bowhunters really feel. I just need to point at NY Bowhunters Narrow minded, selfish, and ignorant view on Crossbows.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
I see alot of that hasn't changed. Regardless of what you think about NYB, this organization has done alot for bowhunters, our youth, the physically challenged, and our fighting soldiers.
Are you kiudding me! It was a disabled soldier from upstate NY that was trying to get Crossbow hunting allowed two years ago and NYB faught him on it. This how NYB spins things in thier favor.
DEC needs to leave the seasons just the way they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.