Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sunday Bowhunting in PA? >

Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

How many other states allow sunday hunting ? Ny allows it and they manage. So why wouldnt pa be able to fund the manhours needed for sundays..............
Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ManySpurs

One thing I never took into consideration in any of this until a few minutes ago is the manpower/wage issue. Fully covering 67 counties on 52 Sundays a year really adds up to a big chunk of change. The PGC is strapped now. I wonder how they will make room in the budget for Sunday coverage?
Everyone knows bow hunters are far more honest and ethical than "other " hunters so there really is no need for law enforcement. And we all know no one poaches deer on Sundays with all that church and family stuff going on.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

thats a good one jim. "bow hunters are far more honest and ethical" how many bow hunters do you know that stick a deer and do not find it and that might be the 3rd or 4th one they stuck in one year.must off the bow hunters to day are jokes.they get the bow out 1 week befor the first day and thats all it takes to be a good shot.they should make the bow hunter shoot befor they get a lincense from 10 yards to 60 or 70 yards
Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shump

thats a good one jim. "bow hunters are far more honest and ethical" how many bow hunters do you know that stick a deer and do not find it and that might be the 3rd or 4th one they stuck in one year.must off the bow hunters to day are jokes.they get the bow out 1 week befor the first day and thats all it takes to be a good shot.they should make the bow hunter shoot befor they get a lincense from 10 yards to 60 or 70 yards
Easy shump, I believe that ol Jim was kidding. I do agree with ya on one point though, I too would not be offended if they made us shoot for our license.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NYS, you must have proof of Proficiency to hunt State Parks- at least it was the law some years ago. If I remember correctly you had to pie-plate three arrows at 25-30 yds. I am not aware of the law changing, but could have.

As far as wounded deer, I believe that when rolled into one, the combination of overdraws,short/lighter arrows, and small broadheads leads to certain individuals taking much longer shoots than they should, resulting in lost game. IMHO, an archer should shoot the heaviest arrow/largest broadhead that can be ACCURATELY released from the bow he is using.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

How many idiots are in the woods the Monday after Thanksgiving with a borrowed turdy- turdy that they never saw before that Sunday?

Idioucracy is not limited to any one group .[:@]
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

The Sunday hunting issue has been tossed about for years to no avail. The religous groups, farmers and others don't want Sunday hunting and have made that clear to our lawmakers. This proposed bowhunting on Sunday looks to me like Rep Gergerly is trying to get one foot in the door for a general hunting on Sunday bill down the road. Since some of the original complaints was about the noise of gun fire on Sundays disrupting the piece and quite the bowhunting on Sunday would elimanate that argument because bows don't make noise. It would be nice to have an additional day to hunt though and since the blue laws have been tossed to the side in PA for the most part I think its time for the hunting regulations to catch up with alot of other states and allow Sunday hunting. I wish Rep Gergerly good luck in his attempt to get his bill passed.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

they should make the bow hunter shoot befor they get a lincense from 10 yards to 60 or 70 yards
Obviously not a bowhunter - probably a bow hater.
The average distance of a deer taken with a bow is 20 yds and under.
Why should a test be to 60 or 70 yds?[:'(]

In NYS, you must have proof of Proficiency to hunt State Parks- at least it was the law some years ago. If I remember correctly you had to pie-plate three arrows at 25-30 yds. I am not aware of the law changing, but could have
No longer a requirement - at least since 2002.

Steve
Old 07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I think for starters it should be implemented that everyone who can't produce a previous archery license take a Bowhunter Education Course- ESPECIALLY since now Xbows are legal. I took the course so I would be able to hunt other states like Alaska which now mandate,Hunter safety, Bow and Muzzleloader Ed courses. I have archery hunted for years and still found usefulness in the course. I feel it was irresponsible to pass the introduction of a new weapon intoarchery when guys who rifle hunt will for the most part be the new Xbow hunter. How many are proficient at blood trailing when only ever having to do it 3 or so times in their gunhunting careers. Very few deer drop on the spot with an arrow hit like they do with a rifle shot, some basics like this need to be understood and demonstrated. And as far as Sunday hunting... Absolutely! It is about time PA catches up with the times and the other states bordering us.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel it was irresponsible to pass the introduction of a new weapon into archery when guys who rifle hunt will for the most part be the new Xbow hunter. How many are proficient at blood trailing when only ever having to do it 3 or so times in their gun hunting careers.
How many archers are proficient at blood trailing? Over the years I know of a lot more archers that have hit and lost a deer than rifle hunters and know a lot more rifle hunters than archers. The ability to make a killing shot is more important than the ability to track a deer because of an improperly laced shot.

Quick Reply: Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.