Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA? >

Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

But, perhaps an even bigger problem would be that entire turkey populations could be killed off very quickly with bait. Bear kills would increase to the point I suspect they would have to restrict the number of bear hunters each year.
Once again you show where the PAGC's priorities lie. You didn't mention further decimation of our already overly reduced deer herd, instead you express concern over the turkey and bear populations. Both of which are increasing each year while deer decrease. Enough Said!

Pheasants are another species that could be entirely eliminated from many areas through the use of baiting.
That ship has sailed. When "wild" pheasants did live in PA it has always been in areas that surrounds or is in or nearby farmland. How is bait going to affect the populations of a species that lives on farmland where food is in abundance. Your (PAGC) stocked pheasants are slaughtered without bait, what good would baiting do when the only birds we have are coming from a stock truck and released during season in front of the hunters waiting to hunt them. I feel your pheasant program is a huge misallocation of money, there is no end for the need tostock in sight. You aren't reestablishing a wild population just sticking pen raised birds out into your fields that haven't been planted with food for these pheasants to feed and survive if they escape hunters, hawks, foxes and cats. What is the goal here??? And you say the transition from game onlyto fish and game won't be an easy one. You are doing exactly what the Fish Commission does in regard to stocking, Actually the fish Commission is producing more of a wild population of fish than the PAGC is with the pheasants.

Is that what hunting is turning into? Is that the direction we as hunters want it to go?

R.S. Bodenhorn
I guess some hunters want to be able to use bait on public lands in some areas where the PAGC has killed off the deer. Maybe the mindset is- "If I put bait out maybe I will see a deer this week"

I want you to know I have nothing personal against you R.S.B. I just express how I feel about our game commission. As far as your question of who will manage the game if the PAGC ceases to exist? I don't care who it is. They won't do any worse for the hunters than the PAGC has as of lately. We will be hunting for years to come, few if anyof us will be alive to see the day hunting is no longer legal, so as far as you guys fighting for our right to hunt... My money goes to the NRA and always will. The NRA has done more for us hunters than the PAGC ever will.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is there any thought to reducing the damage done by the the tiny peckered thread wrecking[&:]bird,is baiting going to be a option that the P.G.C.opens to us.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: explorer_Jack

ORIGINAL: sproulman

The good part about this though. The does will be able to produce more fawns because they now have food to give healthy births to fawns. As long as they got food,There is no worry about all the deer that get shot around that feeder having an affect on the dead deer giving birth. Something like your dead deer starving Sproul. These are dead healthy deer that are dead and able to produce fawns next year. Your starving dead deer can't produce fawns cause they starved to death from lack of food. See the difference Sproul?
i am no fan of baitig in deer or turkeys.

i never saw too much deer being baited in my area over 47 years BUT I DID TURKEYS AND BEAR.

PA. has way to many turkeys also. When do you think they will give out unlimited tags for them. They eat new seedlings as deer do. I guess after all the small game is gone the raptors and predators will need to continue to feed.
With each post,you move further and further out in left field.Tukeys do not browse on seedlings.

It's inteeresting that the same legislators that everyone writes to,hoping they'll save deer,are the same one's tyhat come up with with type of nonsense.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

ORIGINAL: sproulman

The good part about this though. The does will be able to produce more fawns because they now have food to give healthy births to fawns. As long as they got food,There is no worry about all the deer that get shot around that feeder having an affect on the dead deer giving birth. Something like your dead deer starving Sproul. These are dead healthy deer that are dead and able to produce fawns next year. Your starving dead deer can't produce fawns cause they starved to death from lack of food. See the difference Sproul?
i am no fan of baitig in deer or turkeys.

i never saw too much deer being baited in my area over 47 years BUT I DID TURKEYS AND BEAR.

PA. has way to many turkeys also. When do you think they will give out unlimited tags for them. They eat new seedlings as deer do. I guess after all the small game is gone the raptors and predators will need to continue to feed.
With each post,you move further and further out in left field.Tukeys do not browse on seedlings.

It's inteeresting that the same legislators that everyone writes to,hoping they'll save deer,are the same one's tyhat come up with with type of nonsense.
What? They don't do they. And you claim to know about wildlife? LMFAO

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150678

In spring, turkeys eat tender greens, shoots, tubers, left-over nuts
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok,and no where in there does it say turkeys are browsers.Turkeys eat mast,seeds,grain and insects.They don't browse on seedlings.I have seen them nip of the tops of princess pines but they don't browse.And you wonder why the PGCwont listen to you.

What you listedas food are not seedlings.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

Ok,and no where in there does it say turkeys are browsers.Turkeys eat mast,seeds,grain and insects.They don't browse on seedlings.I have seen them nip of the tops of princess pines but they don't browse.And you wonder why the PGCwont listen to you.

What you listedas food are not seedlings.
Do a google search wannaB and see what the real experts say about it. Now turkey don't browse also. LMFAO
To say they have no real affect on habitat is a very idiotic thing to say from a so called know it all. Again google about turkeys eating seedlings.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 AM

Omnivores. Turkeys will eat insects, salamanders, small frogs, and plants. Their diet changes seasonally.
Spring: They'll eat nearly any available plant, such as grass shoots; sedges; buds, flowers, and leaves of shrubs and trees; the roots, tubers, and bulbs of perennials; dried fruits; and nuts.
Spring and summer: High-protein foods, such as insects, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, snails, and slugs are critical to their poults. Adults eat those foods, as well as grasses, seeds, salamanders and frogs.
Late summer: Grasshoppers, beetles, crickets, and the fruits and seeds of nearly any plant.
Fall: just about any nut or fruit crop, including acorns, beechnuts, hazelnuts, wild cherries, and grapes; waste grain; insects; salamanders, and frogs.
Winter: Nuts and seeds; grains, including corn; insects; and snails. They'll often feed where deer have pawed through deep snow and in corn fields, especially if manure was spread on the field, and in spring seeps.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly.No where does it say that they browse on seedlings.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

During a severe winter with deep snow turkeys will starve to death while standing in their roost trees. Up in their roost trees they have access an unlimited amount of browse (maple tree buds etc..) They can even fly from tree to tree when the snow is deep. Why do they fall out of the trees dead after two weeks? In the early 90's i found 12 dead turkeys under their roost trees. I guess they forgot to eat browse.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

baiting is not and will never e hunting. You want to say noctunal? Watch how fast the deer acclimate to baiting after the forst day. In MI they used to have a whole crop in the millions just for bait. Truck loads of beets, apples, carrots, pumpkins etc. Just dump loads for baiting. That is called shooting, but the MI hunting community felt they had to steal the guys next door w/ more bait than he had and it goes on and on. No bait hunting!!

Quick Reply: Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.