Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX) >

Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX)

Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX)

Two bucks per hunter would not work in PA. I neglected to say that when saying that the Texas plan sounded plausible here. I should have said that the Texas AR's sound plausible without the second buck part of the package.
Another problem with the TX ARs is that making bucks with up to 3 pts. legal would result in a big discrepancy in the number of bucks saved in various WMUs. In Allegheny Co. only 24% of 1.5 buck had 3 pts. or less ,but in Cameron Co. 63% of the 1.5 buck would have 3 pts. or less. Then if you add the 1.5 buck that would be AR legal in cameron, very few 1.5 buck would be saved.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

I would not want to see 4 point areas decreased to 3 pt restriction. Would be completely worthless imho.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TX ARs make bucks with a combined total of less than 4 pts. legal to be harvested. In Miss. their ARs protect all bucks with less than a total of 4 pts.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Two bucks per hunter would not work in PA. I neglected to say that when saying that the Texas plan sounded plausible here. I should have said that the Texas AR's sound plausible without the second buck part of the package.
Another problem with the TX ARs is that making bucks with up to 3 pts. legal would result in a big discrepancy in the number of bucks saved in various WMUs. In Allegheny Co. only 24% of 1.5 buck had 3 pts. or less ,but in Cameron Co. 63% of the 1.5 buck would have 3 pts. or less. Then if you add the 1.5 buck that would be AR legal in cameron, very few 1.5 buck would be saved.

The real problem with the Texas AR's is similar to PA's AR's and AR's everywhere. That problem is that there is nothing that will ever satisfy the little [&:]bird short of returning to the failed ways of the past.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The real problem with the Texas AR's is similar to PA's AR's and AR's everywhere. That problem is that there is nothing that will ever satisfy the little bird short of returning to the failed ways of the past.
The failed ways of the past produced a buck harvest of 165 K and a 2.5+ buck harvest of 52,900 in 2002 . The new and improved deer management produced a buck harvest of 109K with only 48,048 2.5+ buck. And at the same time the new and improved deer management resulted in a 5% decrease in breeding rates along with decreased productivity and much lower antlerless harvests.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The real problem with the Texas AR's is similar to PA's AR's and AR's everywhere. That problem is that there is nothing that will ever satisfy the little bird short of returning to the failed ways of the past.
The failed ways of the past produced a buck harvest of 165 K and a 2.5+ buck harvest of 52,900 in 2002 . The new and improved deer management produced a buck harvest of 109K with only 48,048 2.5+ buck. And at the same time the new and improved deer management resulted in a 5% decrease in breeding rates along with decreased productivity and much lower antlerless harvests.
Repeat after me: AR is not HR ..... HR is not AR

Do this 200 times and get back to us when you understand

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ARs have resulted in a reduction of the buck harvest by over 10K buck/year since 2002 ,due solely to non-hunting mortality of the bucks saved by ARS. Therefore ARS = buck (HR)herd reduction!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ARs have resulted in a reduction of the buck harvest by over 10K buck/year since 2002 ,due solely to non-hunting mortality of the bucks saved by ARS. Therefore ARS = buck (HR)herd reduction!!!
You have absolutely no evidence to support your delusional contention that 10K bucks die each year from nonhunting mortality.

Now try again AR is not HR...... HR is not AR
Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

Apparently you are forgetting that the TX plan allows for the harvest of 2 buck /hunter . Due the number of hunters in PA and the effects of HR, the PGC can not allow 2 buck /year so IMHO the TX plan will not work in PA.
I think they COULD allow 2 buck per year. Make the first buck tag the general one inclusive in your license purchase. Allow hunters the opportunity to purchase a second "trophy" tag for a decent chunk of change....let's just use $40 or so for a example.Sunstantialenough fee that would discouragemany hunters, but those who are really interested in pursuing trophy bucks wouild gladly pay the fee for the greater opportunity of harvesting two. The second tag would be limited to a buck with 4 or more points per antler and 15 inch outside spread (or similar restriction geared toward confining harvest to mostly older deer.) Success rates would be fairly low, as would tag sales, imo. It seems to be working with the spring gobbler tags, not that I am trying to compare deer populations to turkeys here.

Quick Reply: Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.