Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 REWARDS FOR DOE IN PA. >

REWARDS FOR DOE IN PA.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

REWARDS FOR DOE IN PA.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: REWARDS FOR DOE IN PA.

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

ORIGINAL: DougE

What the heck,isn't the USP offering up a $10,000 reward for any mountain lions shot?
You like to point to the 8% harvest rate in the study as an indication that hunters aren't harvesting enough deer to reduce the herd. However, the only reason they are offering a reward is so they get some data that comes closer to representing what is really happening.

Now here are the cold facts. From 2004 to 2007 the harvests in 4B reduced the PS DD from 23 DPSM to 18 DPSM and the herd in 2G dropped from 16 PS in 2004 to 10 PS DPSM in 2007. Therefore, the results form the doe survival study are highly flawed and the PGC is trying to correct that by offering a reward.

You aren’t so dense as not to have realized that the doe mortality study was set up to monitor does with collars on were you. They know how many of those does were not harvested by hunters because they are still out there. So obviously hunters didn’t harvest then if they are still there. We already know that hunters harvested very few of the marked does in every study that has been done in the northern remote areas, based on the deer marked for the fawn study and the collared doe study.

The objective of the non-visible reward tags is to measure any variable their MIGHT BE on does without collars, assuming that some hunters might see the collar and then not shot that doe. Do you want to place any bets on how much change in the hunter harvest there will be on collared verse simply tagged does?

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You aren’t so dense as not to have realized that the doe mortality study was set up to monitor does with collars on were you.
Actually, it was set up and presented as a study to determine doe mortality from all sources including hunting. But,what they found was the study did not accurately measure adult doe mortality due to and they are now trying to correct that flaw. But, the study raises significant questions regarding the validity of the results from other studies using radio collared deer such as the fawn mortality study and the antlered buck study.

Also, I noticed that you failed to comment on the fact that the doe harvests,produced total harvests,which were still exceeding recruitment in both 4B and 2G. I wonder why? Could it be that it didn't support your claims that the habitat was controlling the herd?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

LOL you guys are argue over everything. I think the 100 reward is ridiculous ,but Who cares. I dont need a tracking unit to count the deer on my huntin property. They show up everyday and pose. Before huntin season they numbered 51 doe and 19 buck. on January 26th there wer 46 doe and 17 buck showed up at the feeders. I am happy.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

When someone refers to a college-educated, degreed biologist as a "nut", it sure doesn't take long to figure out they think they know more than the biologist.....hence a huge reduction in the credibility of their babble.
I honestly don't know why I even stop by this site anymore....always the same slanted USP horsepucky and hijacking as before.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well after this last stunt the PGC performed (crossbows), I really couldn't care less what they do.

If they are trying to get more accurate numbers of what is happening with our populations, that's great. Something needs to be done. My problem is that they implemented HR without doing these studies in the first place. From what I've seen, they had absolutely no accurate numbers to base their original HR tag distribution on. They simply put a blanket over the state and gave out tags. Many areas suffered and some areas it had little effect on.

It looks as though they're scrambling to put numbers on their claims and justify their actions. The funny part is, they have to ultimately answer to us, the hunters, who provide them with a paycheck and keep them alive. Since hunter numbers are down, the life line is being cut and they're looking, hard, for solutions.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

ORIGINAL: DougE

What the heck,isn't the USP offering up a $10,000 reward for any mountain lions shot?
You like to point to the 8% harvest rate in the study as an indication that hunters aren't harvesting enough deer to reduce the herd. However, the only reason they are offering a reward is so they get some data that comes closer to representing what is really happening.

Now here are the cold facts. From 2004 to 2007 the harvests in 4B reduced the PS DD from 23 DPSM to 18 DPSM and the herd in 2G dropped from 16 PS in 2004 to 10 PS DPSM in 2007. Therefore, the results form the doe survival study are highly flawed and the PGC is trying to correct that by offering a reward.

You aren’t so dense as not to have realized that the doe mortality study was set up to monitor does with collars on were you. They know how many of those does were not harvested by hunters because they are still out there. So obviously hunters didn’t harvest then if they are still there. We already know that hunters harvested very few of the marked does in every study that has been done in the northern remote areas, based on the deer marked for the fawn study and the collared doe study.

The objective of the non-visible reward tags is to measure any variable their MIGHT BE on does without collars, assuming that some hunters might see the collar and then not shot that doe. Do you want to place any bets on how much change in the hunter harvest there will be on collared verse simply tagged does?

R.S. Bodenhorn
rsb, i have friends that have camp in area of collared doe, you are right, they are not shooting doe with collars on.

its not because they dont see those doe, they are.

in fact ,1 is at our feeder right now andshe is named BETTY.

no one shoots BETTY , she is queen.

so, now put a reward on so we will shoot BETTY.great program
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Well after this last stunt the PGC performed (crossbows), I really couldn't care less what they do.

If they are trying to get more accurate numbers of what is happening with our populations, that's great. Something needs to be done. My problem is that they implemented HR without doing these studies in the first place. From what I've seen, they had absolutely no accurate numbers to base their original HR tag distribution on. They simply put a blanket over the state and gave out tags. Many areas suffered and some areas it had little effect on.

It looks as though they're scrambling to put numbers on their claims and justify their actions. The funny part is, they have to ultimately answer to us, the hunters, who provide them with a paycheck and keep them alive. Since hunter numbers are down, the life line is being cut and they're looking, hard, for solutions.
very well said.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cardeeer

LOL you guys are argue over everything. I think the 100 reward is ridiculous ,but Who cares. I dont need a tracking unit to count the deer on my huntin property. They show up everyday and pose. Before huntin season they numbered 51 doe and 19 buck. on January 26th there wer 46 doe and 17 buck showed up at the feeders. I am happy.
how about inviting meto that PRIVATELAND ,sounds like fun......
Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

The property is not in slaughterville pa. Its another state that dont slaughter the doe or have 4 month deer seasons.. Nothing against anyone,But my wife and I allow no one to hunt except myself. My neighbors all shoot 8 pts and bigger and a very limited amount of doe. I know I am drawing deer from other properties. They just are addicted to my molasses drippers on the mineral blocks. I have dripped 240 lbs of molasses this year and went thru 2300 lbs of corn and 800lbs of protein pellets already.I am going to have to stop the molasses when the bear awake or mass destruction will occur. Molasses is cheap, 30 lbs for 7.00.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

they do the same thing with striped bass i got one once, but donated the 100 too the study of the fish.

Quick Reply: REWARDS FOR DOE IN PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.