Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How should Wildlife Management be funded? >

How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Different state wildlife management agencies are funded in a number of different ways.

Some like Pennsylvania are funded without any general tax funds and only have license fees, Federal P/R funds, timber and mineral sales, etc. to work with even while only the State Legislature can increase the license fee structure. Some states are funded by a combination of license fees, P/F funds and general funds from the state’s taxes.Still other states have a designated tax amount, such as 1/8 of 1% of a sales tax, a portion of the license sales funds and the Federal P/R funds.

What are the benefits and down sides of the various methods within the various states and which seem to result in the best wildlife management programs?

Do hunters in states that are funded by some form of the State’s general tax dollars feel that they have an adequate voice within their wildlife department? Do non hunters have too much voice and does that interfere with the wildlife management programs?

Let’s hear some opinions from the different state hunters about what they think are the best wildlife management programs and how they are funded within those various states.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How should Wildlife Management be funded?

i dont think it matters who funds the pgc the hunters are voiceless now so any other way of funding
the pgc couldnt hurt
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt New York ands Ohio. In New York, I hunt strictly public lands and I'm 100% thrilled with the way they manage these lands for wildlife and I'm 100% thrilled with their POS system. I'm not sure about how their public funding system is working, but I know several folks that work for their DEC and they seem to be pretty happy with the way things operate.

Now, I haven't been following the NY governors attempt to close their pheasant farm very well, but from the little that I know, hunters raised enough hell about it to get the governor to reconsider. Sounds like there was some listening going on there eh?

As for Ohio, I haven't hunted and explored their program long enough to have an opinion. But I do know that I see plenty of wildlife on the private land that I've hunted.

As for Pa, I think it's high time that public funding is made available for the PGC budget in lieu of a license increase. Between my general license, muzzy tag, archery tag, doe tags, bobcat app and furtakers tag, I'm paying plenty already. At this point in time, I don't care one way or the other about the public having a stake in the PGC program, because it's quite obvious that hunters sure as hell have none.

For me, as a 51 year old deer hunter in the NC region of the commonwealth, getting the PGC solvent again and allowing them to get cracking on fine tuning this half assed deer program properly with more biologists on the ground is the single most important issue that I face. Let the public fund it. I'm tired of paying the way and getting next to nothing in return. And when Isay next to nothing, I'm not talkingthe old cliche' of having a deer behind every tree. I've never seen deer behind every tree, don't expect a deer behind every tree, and don't want a deer behind every tree. I'm talking about having enough WCOs, DWCOs, LMOs and biologists to manage our SFs and SGLs and large WMUs like 2Geffectively with hunters needs in mind.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those that would like some data to compare to what we have here in PA, here is a link to a QDMA report that provides data from various states.

http://qdma.com/media/WhitetailReport09.pdf
Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 AM

My opinion is the PGC intentionally run their deer hunting(bread and butter) into the ground intentionally so they could get public fundings and screw the tax payers out of more money. If they can't manage millions+a year,Istrongly advisethey get some new people in there that can. I do believe the PGC needs to have an audit about where the money is going and how it is spent.

The PGC is rapidly heading to meet its final destiny of merger. It is inevitable considering their current course. They can hold off for a few years by dumping wood on the market. Eventually, they will realize they can’t offset the license sales losses without hiring more foresters and dramatically increasing their timber receipts. The Governor will stop them or the price of wood will plummet.

http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/articles/2005/06/06/farewell-to-deer-deer-hunting-and-the-pgc/
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Do you hear us now? Probably not! Like ManySpurs,I too backed the PGC. But I'm losing my trust in them fast!

ManySpurs, I'm also hitting the tying bench hard for the next couple weeks. Just might have to trade in my bow & flintlock for a couple new fly rods and reels.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its very hard to come up with anything positive to say about the P.G.C. ,who pays them seems to be a mute point at this time. Their agenda is set in stone and no one or thing will change that.
The P.G.C. has alienated the very people that formed it.
WeAs hunters only make up 8 % of the total population, soit appears to me that they are looking for support from the other 82 % that don't hunt. That support should be far reaching and easily obtained as many of them are against hunters & hunting also,
I'm not a big conspiracy guy like some here,but its plane to see that there is more to this deer program than meets the eye. with habitat being the driving force behind it how can anyone explain the 1 % timber harvest goals set up for state land. This being done in a time of financial need ?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Since the DCNR likes to tell the PGC how to do it's job, how about giving them the task of taking care of all 400 species of non game, they get tax money, or at least have them pay the PGCto take care of the non game, that would let the PGC do the job that theHUNTERS pay them to do.I guess that wouldn't make sence would it?
Or maybe let these folks take care of the non game.
http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/about.asp
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jack,the PGC is a very heavily audited agency.Every year,they publish their budget.By the way,the price of wood has already plummeted greatly.Both the PGC and DCNR are having a hard time evengetting bids on their lumber.

Jim,we have a very even aged stand of timber in Pa.That's one reasonwhy we're in thesituation we're in.How much more timber would you like them to cut.Seriously,give me a figure.

losthorn,Specifically,how has DCNR told the PGC how to do it's job?ThePGC is forced by the legislature to manage all game and non-game species.Fortunately,hunters don't pay the whole tab as alot of those programs are paid for by grants.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

Jack,the PGC is a very heavily audited agency.Every year,they publish their budget.By the way,the price of wood has already plummeted greatly.Both the PGC and DCNR are having a hard time evengetting bids on their lumber.
I don't think so. If that was the case,Why the big fuss over their records being shown while a lawsuit is going on? I think they have something to hide in their records.And while you are here. What do you think about RSB comments about hunters?

And, I don’t work for you. I work for the resources and all of the Citizens of this Commonwealth.

If hunters don’t want to pay for wildlife management there are many others that do care about wildlife that will be very willing to demand that wildlife management be funded through general tax dollars.

I am becoming more and more convinced that wildlife management would be better off if we worked from the general fund and told hunter to take a flying leap with their money.

Quick Reply: How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.