Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 what do you think NY antler restrictions >

what do you think NY antler restrictions

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

what do you think NY antler restrictions

Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 AM

Default RE: what do you think NY antler restrictions

If AR were impemented in NY state I'm sure young hunters would be the exception, meaning they would still be able to take young bucks if they wanted. The AR Pilot Program that exists in the Catskills right now is letting kids take juvinile bucks. Unfortunately every kid in the area is migrating to the pilot program's area to shoot their bucks because they see more of them now...which is due to adults having to pass up spikes,fours and 5 points.

If AR are enforced so be it...it's not aperfect system but would increase the odds for sportsman to see more larger racked bucks. I'm tired of seeingneighbors shoot juvinile 1.5 yr. old bucks when they could have filled their freezer with a doe. The buck to doe ratio is all out of wack where I live. I passed up 9 diff. bucks this yr. during bow and gun and not one of them was over 6 points. They were all 1.5 yr. old juveniles. These were all last years button bucks and I know for certain 7 out of the 9 little bucks were wacked by neighbors.

I would be for a one buck per hunter per year....you choose your weapon.Guys are taking spikes and fours in my area with their bow tag, gun tag and muzzleloader tag. Isn't one small buck enough! Manditory check stations would be an idea also with major penalties and fines. I;m just fedup with Ny's deer herd management system, in my opinion the state just wants all the deer dead and as much revenue they can rake in instead of really being good stewards and taking advice from proff. biologists on how to make the herd as healthy and natural as possible. That's just my .02. Sorry if i offended anyone.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

The biggest fault that I can see pertaining to AR's in the enforcement issue. How can you possibly enforce them with only 2-3 active ECO's in a Region?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking for venesin harvest a legal doe .
If your looking for a wall hanger why harvest a spike horn ???
And if you want venison and you don't have a doe permit and you do have a buck tag, use it ona spike if you want to anddon't worry a lick about some other hunter who whines and carries on because he thinks you're hurting his odds of harvesting a big buck. Screw em! Horn whores just aren't worth fretting about.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the responses I do come form a family were brown is down is the motto of the camp I do agree for the younger hunters it would be a exception but me myself shooting many buck I would like to see our area possibly become the next Illinois or Kansas I know it will never be that great but If we all do our part we could make it a better place to hunt bring more money into the economy and make it more challangeing for oursleves.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think Ar's are a plot to sell more out of state licenses and see more land leased to outfitters, and to make it easier for mountain lions to kill more big bucks.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see our area possibly become the next Illinois or Kansas
Neither state I believehas mandatory AR.

Steve
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to see our area possibly become the next Illinois or Kansas
Seriously talk to people from those states and listen to how much problem they have finding land and how outfitters buy and lease every thing up.

Like Steve said they don't have AR's.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest fault that I can see pertaining to AR's in the enforcement issue. How can you possibly enforce them with only 2-3 active ECO's in a Region?
Thats what I was thinking too. I dont' think AR would mean much to a lot of people. Who's going to monitor it?Hell i've been hunting for 21 years and not once have seen a DEC officer.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the idea however I think it is everyone's right to take whatever deer they decide will satisfy their hunting experience, it's wild game and we regulate it enough as it is let it be, most hunters will find over time they will start to employ their own antler restrictions and be more satisfied doing so.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kansas or Illinois!! You gotta be kidding me. Those states are becoming so commercialized its more about Big $ for Big Bucks now.A good friend of mine has hunted Illinios 2x's. Both Outfitters he tried were very strict, and had their own pt restrictions. $100 fine per inch if you took a buck under their 130" limit. I have a co-worker who hunts Kansas every yr now. They lease a piece of farmers land for 1 wk. The farmer charges him & 5 other guys $1,500 each for 1 wks hunting rights to his property. That doesn't include any boarding or food! I never want to see NY become commercialized like that! [:@]

Quick Reply: what do you think NY antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.