Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 what do you think NY antler restrictions >

what do you think NY antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

what do you think NY antler restrictions

Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you think NY antler restrictions

100% against ARs! The DECs job is to control the population, not racks. I live 5 miles from NJ, they have ARs & the same exact deer we have here. Ny already has great deer hunting, remember one of the longest reigning word record bucks came from this state. (Roosevelt Luckey buck)

Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, etc, have that is most conducive to big buck, IMHO, everything else being equal, are short seasons. Imagine what the Southern Tier would produce if, once the first week of gun was over, they were safe. I would definitely support that experiment.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only way a shorter gun season would ever fly is if it comes from the gun hunters entirely.

Bowhunters in NY already have the rep for using the early bowseason as an unfair advantage to buck hunt.
I'm not sure how significant the difference would be with a shorter season - I seem to remember hearing that
the overwhelming majority of the gun kills come by the end of the 2nd weekend. I know around me, the woods go dead for hunter
numbers from the 2nd weekend until the last couple days - and I hear few shots then.

I think a one buck rule for much of the state might help.
But this idea gets the most resistance from bowhunters!

Steve
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

i think ar is a good thing and we are starting to see results in ar dmu's in NY state, all you naysayers won't be complaining when your seeing and bagging 8 and 10 piont bucks in a few yrs>>>>
Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The results of ARs in PA are not what was predicted. ARs did not double the number of 8 pt. buck or the number of 2.5+ buck. Only around 1% of our hunters benefit by harvesting a 2.5+ buck,while many more go without a buck due to ARs. Furthermore ,there was no increase in the percentage of buck in the older age classes because hunting pressure shifted from the 1.5 buck class to the 2.5+ buck class.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

No A.R. restrictions but i would like to see the gun season shortened and allow only one buck tag to be used forarchery, ML or gun. If my memory serves me correct all you were allowed when i started hunting(1977) was a buck a season. I believe mostmid western states have a short gun season and allow only one buck tag forany weapon.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sits in trees

i think ar is a good thing and we are starting to see results in ar dmu's in NY state, all you naysayers won't be complaining when your seeing and bagging 8 and 10 piont bucks in a few yrs>>>>
I value the freedom we have now more than even the best case scenario with ar. And btw, over the years I have taken many 8and 9 pointers andseveral 130+ class 10 pointers. With antler restrictions I might have had the opportunity to take a few more of the bigger bucks but so what. Like I said, I like the rules as they are. I value the fact that each hunter is free to implement his own standards.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I did not mean the commercial aspect of it ?I meant the quality and amount of deer of those states You cant even tell me that deer here in new york state amount to the deer you see in kansas, iowa, and illinois not even close I do agree with the fact we should have a right to choose our deer we want to shoot, but then again do we have the right to choose were we can smoke anymore. So lets be realistic here.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowanna03

I do agree with the fact we should have a right to choose our deer we want to shoot, but then again do we have the right to choose were we can smoke anymore. So lets be realistic here.
We do have "a right to choose our deer we want to shoot", what's at issue is whether or not we want to give it up. I certainly don't! And, btw, the smoking issue couldn't be more irrelevant here so yes indeed, "let's be realistic here".
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Spike

i think ar is a good thing and we are starting to see results in ar dmu's in NY state, all you naysayers won't be complaining when your seeing and bagging 8 and 10 point bucks in a few yrs>>>>
So we kill the best buck, and the spikes and forks are left to breed does?? Whoopie!!! I get to kill a 8 or 10 point. Yes, a giant 16" spread basket rack. Big deal.

I was just down to Ohio and watched 2 150+" gross bucks on my brothers farm. There were several other "smaller" bucks that had 8-11 points, that most people in NY would have had mounted. They killed 5 does so far this year. They haven't killed a buck in 2 seasons. They will kill one of the bucks if they get the shot (bow), but if they don't, so be it.

Most of the midwest states do not have mandatory ar's. It's a self imposed restriction, as it should be.

Bluebird has it right AR's only delay the inevitable.

One buck/person/season. Shorter gun season. Then we'll see some bigger bucks. Otherwise, be content with what we have.

Quick Reply: what do you think NY antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.