HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what do you think NY antler restrictions
Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 AM
tmeservey

Default RE: what do you think NY antler restrictions

If AR were impemented in NY state I'm sure young hunters would be the exception, meaning they would still be able to take young bucks if they wanted. The AR Pilot Program that exists in the Catskills right now is letting kids take juvinile bucks. Unfortunately every kid in the area is migrating to the pilot program's area to shoot their bucks because they see more of them now...which is due to adults having to pass up spikes,fours and 5 points.

If AR are enforced so be it...it's not aperfect system but would increase the odds for sportsman to see more larger racked bucks. I'm tired of seeingneighbors shoot juvinile 1.5 yr. old bucks when they could have filled their freezer with a doe. The buck to doe ratio is all out of wack where I live. I passed up 9 diff. bucks this yr. during bow and gun and not one of them was over 6 points. They were all 1.5 yr. old juveniles. These were all last years button bucks and I know for certain 7 out of the 9 little bucks were wacked by neighbors.

I would be for a one buck per hunter per year....you choose your weapon.Guys are taking spikes and fours in my area with their bow tag, gun tag and muzzleloader tag. Isn't one small buck enough! Manditory check stations would be an idea also with major penalties and fines. I;m just fedup with Ny's deer herd management system, in my opinion the state just wants all the deer dead and as much revenue they can rake in instead of really being good stewards and taking advice from proff. biologists on how to make the herd as healthy and natural as possible. That's just my .02. Sorry if i offended anyone.