Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY.Gun Season

Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY.Gun Season

m saying this w/ out checking the regs book mind you , but I thought legal shooting time was 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset?
Nope, not in NYS it isn't. I've got to say that in all my years of hunting I think the sunup, sundown law is the one most violated by hunters. I don't think there are very many hunters that would not shoot a buck or any deer they have a tag for just because it's a few minutes before or after sunup and sundown. Those who claim they wouldn't are big time liars in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Common mistake.

From the regs:
ยง2.1 Hunting hours for deer and bear.
During any hunting season established by law or fixed by order of the department for deer or bear, hunting hours daily shall be from sunrise to sunset.

Should be 1/2 before and after, but it is not.
And they will ticket for it.

Steve
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im glad someone brought this up. I just checked ,and it does state sunrise to sunset. My apologies. Good thing I havent seen a deer to shoot during gun season, before sunrise, yet. Am I just imagining that the regs use to say 1/2 hour before and after? Am I thinking of NJ
Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most states are 1/2 and 1/2 - except NY[:'(]

Steve863 is right - probably one of the most violated reg's.

Steve
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

DeerandbearhoG

Fairport is near Rochester... East side
Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Well off to the woods again. I hope some guys are off this weekend and next week to get them moving. I might spot and stalk today.[&o] A lot of the guys I've talked to in the Canastota area are all saying the same thing as last year "where are all the deer" and " There aren't any deer". I will say that land to hunt is getting harder to find and so are the deer but hey I'd rather be hunting then working but we'll see how long that lasts.[]
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Don't worry that deer was shot at 4:40 pm as i had watched the local weather channel-syracuse channel 10.It gave me the local sunrise and sunset each day as well as the wind direction and the fronts coming into the different areas. I had thought that both dawn/sunrise and dusk/sunset were just interchangable terms but after looking it up i found out that they are different. Now I see where the confusion arose.Well next week I will be hunting from dawn to dusk as I will be up in saskatchewanfor whitetails.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

4 more hours in stand and nothing. I Can't believe the deer are not coming into the apple orchards.[&o]
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

LIAF - good luck, kill a big one and stay warm!!

Steve
Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Well, got a six pointer on opening day, 12:00. In Port Jervis, we had fog, winds,and heavy rains all morning and it lifted about 11:00, just about the time all the deer decided to take a walk. Shooting all over the mountain. We got 5 deer first day, 4,5,6,7, & a nice 8 pointer. Nothing on Sunday with the heavy winds gusting to 50 made everything bed right down. Had to head back to work, but for those guys who had off in our camp, we got 3 more on Monday and a nice 7 on Tuesday. Will head up tonight cause we're suppose to have a little snow. Nothin like hunting with snow on the ground. There's still a few big bucks around, so we'll see what we can get.

Quick Reply: NY.Gun Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.