Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland RUT

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Maryland RUT

OK. Who's seeing activity? I'm sick and can't get out until later in the week. Around what time of the month is the rut usually each year?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maryland RUT

No worries. Nothing has really taken off yet. There are pockets of activity, but just this past weekend I saw a herd of bucks all feeding together. I think sometime over the next week things will really pick up.

This time last year things were crazy, so it the activity varies from year to year. Usually you can't go wrong the second week of November in Maryland.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
bigcountry

I seen alot of chasing in Queen Annes. Does running in circles in the fields with immature bucks hounding them. A buddy saw a mature deer hounding a doe. Things are starting.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 PM

I work down here in Maryland during the week and usually head home to PA on the weekends. Driving back down here Sunday afternoon, I've seen a ton of deer splattered on the roads....much much more than usual. Always seems to be a good indication of things heatin' up. Good luck to you fellas!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rubs and scrapes all over the place in Hareford Co. Spotting more bucks too.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

When is the so called rutting moon this year?Activity seems late to me.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO the rut is on time like usual and starting to pick up now. I was out Monday afternoon and saw a mature 8-pointer. The first two times I saw him he was working some scrapes and minding his own. As he walked out of view the second time... he started to trot quicker with his head down. About 30-45 minutes before light a nice doe came by and the same 8-point was about 20 yards behind her. He gave her room... but after about 10 minutes chased her around. Two other does came into the picture and again the buck was locked in and focused on the does.

It doesn't seem that the PEAK rut is here yet... but the seek and chase phase seems to be starting which IMHO is the better time to hunt before they get locked onto a particular doe. Like years past... the rut seems to fall between the first three weeks of November.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: chazspot

2nd full moon after the equinox
Old 11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chazspot

2nd full moon after the equinox
So that would be November 13 this year.

Cool, thanks.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I just checked the weather for Friday afternoon and it is going to be warm.

I might go out but I'm not hoping for much. Then there's Saturday. Rain. Crap.

I'm finally better enough to go out hunting and the weather is crap. Worst case is I'll be trying again Monday which should start getting cold again.

Quick Reply: Maryland RUT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.