Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pa game commission >

pa game commission

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa game commission

Old 11-14-2003, 10:57 AM

Default pa game commission

the pa game commission is thinking about moving the rifle deer season to the same week of thanksgiving. they also said that bear and deer will be hunted the same time. the big reason for this is the deer herd grew by 20 percent in 3 years. im not for this move at all. one reason is its puting rifle season a little to close to the rut, second reason is i like to spend thanksgiving with my family and friends, and then go deerhunting. what does everyone feel about this issue. remember, they are just talking about it, nothing is in staone...
Old 11-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pa game commission

That' s a tricky one. I have to agree with spending Thanksgiving with my family but I am usually home by Thursday anyway so I wouldn' t miss it. The only good thing I guess is that I could hunt Bear and deer again and not have to take so much vacation. Overall I think I would have to vote against it. I think all those hunters in the woods for rifle would really hurt the bear population. 75% of those that hunt deer normally wouldn' t even think of buying a bear tag but if this would come into effect that number would jump drastically. Sounds like they may be trying to make more money off of bear liscenses than anything. Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 AM

I had heard this as well. Where I am in the Poconos, they say that the deer herd is too big for the land to support them. Also, I' m all for extending the number of days to hunt. I work as many of us do and can not hunt during the week, therefore I would like to see them implement Sunday hunting during Rifle season. Also, it would be nice to have opening day either the Saturday before Thanksgiving or the Saturday after.

That' s my opinion if it' s worth two cents.

Tomster
Old 11-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was always wondering why they don' t have the rifle season open during the rut. It sure would up the odds of shooting a mature buck.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-14-2003, 11:15 AM

Sorry I left this out....

By me there are associations that do not allow hunting on their property. The deer stay on these lands during rifle season since they know they will not get shot at and multiply. What they should do is sponser some kind of hunts in these lands to kick out the deer.

This is a big problem in the Poconos.

Tomster
Old 11-14-2003, 11:19 AM

I hadn' t heard the proposal you are talking about. In the past they have discussed moving the muzzleloader season before rifle (instead of after it) in an effort to decrease the herd and increase interest in the sport. But, they have always decided against it. I wouldn' t be surprised if nothing happens. I think, being the owner of a muzzleloader, it would be a good move. I have little interest of trying to muzzleload after x-mas when the deer are real gunshy. It' s too cold, the deer don' t move and the trees no longer present any cover for hunters.

The commission needs to understand that it is not the " short" length of the season that is causing the increase in the herd. It is the urban sprawl that is taking away valuable hunting lands and the cost of the licenses increasing to the point that people don' t see the value of getting their kids involved. The heaviest concentration of deer are in the big city suburbs where it is difficult to obtain permission to hunt.

If they are going to increase the rifle season, they should consider doing it for seniors, disableds and youth, only. Maybe even females. But for the most part, the set up is fine the way it is. If they are interested in decreasing the herd they should require a hunter to " earn" a buck license. The biggest problem is that most hunters are only interested in harvesting a buck - I know lots of them.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tomster,
I have to agree. I would like to see the season open on a Saturday as well and even be allowed on Sunday. I just don' t like the idea of being able to shoot a bear during deer season. By moving Rifle up to coincide with bear they really aren' t going to change the harvest number of deer. The season will stay the same length, the same amount of hunters are going to hunt and the only difference will be that it is a week earlier. What WILL be affected is the bear population. There will be 10 times more hunters in the woods with bear tags. The population is going to take a hit and I think that is the real reason for them talking about moving the season. I know people say by moving the season closer to the rut we will be able to take bigger bucks but believe me there are going to be just as many big bucks running through the woods a week later with 50 gazillion guys martching around all day.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 PM

Boy this is a tough one to answer. I have to say I have always been a fan of moving the buck season up to coinside with the rut, however this I feel would sorely reduce the bear population. I think opening up Sunday hunting would solve both problems. If the bear season fell the first weekend of November more guys would hunt bear It' s warmer and a full weekend to hunt. Then the deer season could open up the week of thanksgiving. I agree most deer hunters are done there hunting by the first Thursday anyway so thanksgiving would not be a problem.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:34 PM

No I wouldnt vote it in... Maybe start it the friday after thanksgiving
Old 11-16-2003, 05:56 PM

Willie, they " moved" the muzzeloader season to 3rd week of Oct about 4 years ago, which by my calandar, is before the rifle season. 7 hunting days in the warmth of October, no freezing fingers, much foliage.

Quick Reply: pa game commission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.