Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions in PA! >

Mountain lions in PA!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions in PA!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Nice house cats Wind walker

Sorry Charlie! This has been in the news for quite some time

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1887921/posts

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1374954

http://www.fosbirds.org/FFN/PDFs/FFN...Hutchinson.pdf

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/07blk-bobcat/
Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a few of you already know, I have a great interest in the unexplained.

While RSB might not be happy for that link, I'll have it be known that I personally believe him.

I just didn't care for the way he ridicules others, yet he has some far fetched stories of his own.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

BOY HAS THIS TOPIC GROWN.in last, lets say 10 yrs here in clinton county,pa.cougar sighting were a lot. dcnr employees saw them, they are out there everyday and know difference .

i saw one, i know what i saw too,it was cougar.it will be something you never saw in woods and for me at 15 ft away , nothing i ever saw in my life of 46 yrs in woods.and i will add for laughter the cougar i saw GROWLED or whatever its called at me just like you hear when you go to pennstate football game.

but here is strange thing, not 1 report so far in last year or so is coming from people in woods.this is why i feel cougar is passing thru areas not taking up residence in certain areas of pa.
look at cougar shot in subs of chicago.he came from 5 states away if i read article correctly. he did this in 9 months over 1,000 miles he traveled.

this was second one killed in subs in chicago area and he was WILD cougar, not someones pet.
i know its hard for most to believe cougar is in pa. a cougar was killed 5 miles from my home years ago in clinton county. this was in pg news i believe.old newspapers have articles too of camp owners on fork hill shootig a cougar years ago when things were not documented by state.

like said, i have not got 1 report of cougar latelt but 5/10 yrs ago, oh my i bet 100 sightings...........
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
BOY HAS THIS TOPIC GROWN.in last, lets say 10 yrs here in clinton county,pa.cougar sighting were a lot. dcnr employees saw them, they are out there everyday and know difference .

i saw one, i know what i saw too,it was cougar.it will be something you never saw in woods and for me at 15 ft away , nothing i ever saw in my life of 46 yrs in woods.and i will add for laughter the cougar i saw GROWLED or whatever its called at me just like you hear when you go to pennstate football game.

but here is strange thing, not 1 report so far in last year or so is coming from people in woods.this is why i feel cougar is passing thru areas not taking up residence in certain areas of pa.
look at cougar shot in subs of chicago.he came from 5 states away if i read article correctly. he did this in 9 months over 1,000 miles he traveled.

this was second one killed in subs in chicago area and he was WILD cougar, not someones pet.
i know its hard for most to believe cougar is in pa. a cougar was killed 5 miles from my home years ago in clinton county. this was in pg news i believe.old newspapers have articles too of camp owners on fork hill shootig a cougar years ago when things were not documented by state.

like said, i have not got 1 report of cougar latelt but 5/10 yrs ago, oh my i bet 100 sightings...........
Really,I remember a few years ago when DCNR employee reported seeing a mountiain lions killing a 4 point buck near pine creek.Unfortunately,it was determined that a bobcat actually killed the deer.I also remeber you posting a picture of a confirmed mountain lion that was obviously a bobcat.I can aslo recall at least two other threads with clear pictures of bobcats.The thredas went on for days with "experienced"outdoorsman arging back and forth that the bobcats were actually mountain lions.The one near the salt block still cracks me up.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes, who was one that sent picture to pittsburgh to have it looked at?then it was confirmed it was not a cougar.me......sproul.i did not hide TRUTH i discovered .......
dcnr at pine creek.cant answer why he would think it was cougar, unreal............

but the ones i know that saw cougar in petes run, i would vouch for them.
doug,i saw cougar and i stated what i saw and how pgc acted when i wanted them to take tracks of it with me.
some say, sproul who cares if you did.
i guess thats best answer to all of this....
but to say they dont exist here is not true......
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where do you think they are heading? Passing through PA heading east to where? The ocean?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
Where do you think they are heading? Passing through PA heading east to where? The ocean?
i read article on cougar expert that stated the males are looking for new territory,i think he was utah.
he spoke about the cougar that was killed by police officer on chicago suburbs streets at 1pm.
he said that cougar cut its foot in barn out in montana , i could be wrong on state.
he took blood sample then and had DNA.
then 9 months later in chicago cougar was shot. the feds took blood sample and he checked it and it was cougar from barn.
cougar went well over 1,000 miles in 9 months.

this also is what i feel is happening, cougars are moving around.maybe cougar seen in your area, endsup dead in another state and never returns or decides to stay somewhere else.

dont know but i feel that is good guess at what is happening.......take care sproul
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

i read article on cougar expert that stated the males are looking for new territory,i think he was utah.
he spoke about the cougar that was killed by police officer on chicago suburbs streets at 1pm.
he said that cougar cut its foot in barn out in montana , i could be wrong on state.
he took blood sample then and had DNA.
then 9 months later in chicago cougar was shot. the feds took blood sample and he checked it and it was cougar from barn.
cougar went well over 1,000 miles in 9 months.

this also is what i feel is happening, cougars are moving around.maybe cougar seen in your area, endsup dead in another state and never returns or decides to stay somewhere else.

dont know but i feel that is good guess at what is happening.......take care sproul
gotcha... thanks for the clarification
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

i used to have this cougar experts e-mail.we used to talk aout 1 time a month.he said that blood sample on wild cougar in chicago really opened up a lot of eyes on distance that male went.
he said hunting is reducing a lot of this to certain point.for a few years some areas banned hunting and cougars were getting more abundant.
which caused more cougars to expand ,i guess cougars dont like to be too close to each other.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll never deny that an escaped or loose pet could run loose from time to time.It's happened in the past but the cats always go to people,where they can get food.It happened about a year ago with some other type of exotic cat,not far from Wilkes-Barre.It's extremely improbable that a released animal will head to the wilderness and stake it's claim there.It's even more improbable that it won't leave any evidence behind.I suppose it's exptremely unlikely but not impossible that one will travel from out west,cross the Mississippi,reach Pa and then turn around and go back home without leaving a trace.Possible but doubtful.It's far more probable,considering the lack of any hard evidence that all of these mountain lion and balck panther sightings are nothing more than bobcats,labs and house cats being mistaken for mountainion lions.

Quick Reply: Mountain lions in PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.