Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Fall Turkey - Pennsylvania >

Fall Turkey - Pennsylvania

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Fall Turkey - Pennsylvania

Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fall Turkey - Pennsylvania

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Here is what is possible during fall turkey season. There were 11 guys in camp and we got 10 birds by 11am opening morning.

man, thats a lot of turkeys, i bet this was on privateland, no way that would happen here in wmu2g on publicland

Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 PM

It was actually in Black Moshannon State forest. We do have alot odf private land we hunt but it is only because people up there dont care if your on their land as long as your not deer hunting.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most other birds can and are hunted with dogs, why not turkeys? Depending on terrain it can be REAL hard to get close enough to turkeys to get a scattering break up. Pointless to call if the “busted” flock all moves off in one direction.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Most other birds can and are hunted with dogs, why not turkeys? Depending on terrain it can be REAL hard to get close enough to turkeys to get a scattering break up. Pointless to call if the “busted” flock all moves off in one direction.

i dont care but a lot of hunters do.

sadly guess who is going to get shot over this, not us but our dogs.

i am very scared of this and will not hunt near other hunters now.

i also added a bell to my dog.

i hate to say what will happen to someone if my dog is shot [:@]
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: absolut40

I wouldnt even think about hunting turkeys in the fall without a dog. Im glad PA finally allowed the use of dogs in the fall turkey season.The dogs really get in good on the turkeys on the break which makes them easier to call in for the most part.
You don't need dogs in the fall for turkey. I will question yourhunting skillsif you can't find a bird without a dog.
Pa is loaded with turkey. I do see some dogs getting whacked if they are chasing birds while another is on stand calling them in. I wouldn't think twice about giving the dog lead poison.Especially on private property.
I don't really care to hunt turkeys with dogs but you are way out of line here! Just because it doesnt please you is no excuse for shooting another mans dog. You're likely to get shot yourself if you pull that stupidity with some of the dog guys I know.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Typical Buck

Everything I've read points to dog hunting for turkeys as being a wonderful twist on an old tradition. Seems to have started in the south, but there is a fellow in New York state who was very influentual in developing the breeds, and refining the sport. Dogs are sent out an hour or two after fly down when the birds have had a chance to get some scent on the ground. (So much for those 4 am wake ups...these guyssleep in a spell and set down to a hearty breakfast!)Dogs move in and scatter the flock very well, often honing in on small groups and improving the original scatter. On the signal from the hunters, the dogs curl up in a camo burlap sack and often take a nap while the hunters wait for the birds to start sounding off and call them in typical fashion, just as the rest of us do. At the shot, the dogs rush out and secure the bird, often trained to retrieve it, and bring it back to the hunter. When more birds are coming in, the dogs may return to the sacks and wait for more action. Sure sounds sporting and like alot of fun to me. To the best of my knowledge, the only time the law is on your side in killing a dog, is when it is OBSERVED, running a deer. I don't currently own a dog, but rest assured that any man who would shoot MYdog, on public land or private, would pay for it dearly.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: absolut40

I wouldnt even think about hunting turkeys in the fall without a dog. Im glad PA finally allowed the use of dogs in the fall turkey season.The dogs really get in good on the turkeys on the break which makes them easier to call in for the most part.
You don't need dogs in the fall for turkey. I will question yourhunting skillsif you can't find a bird without a dog.
Pa is loaded with turkey. I do see some dogs getting whacked if they are chasing birds while another is on stand calling them in. I wouldn't think twice about giving the dog lead poison.Especially on private property.
I don't really care to hunt turkeys with dogs but you are way out of line here! Just because it doesnt please you is no excuse for shooting another mans dog. You're likely to get shot yourself if you pull that stupidity with some of the dog guys I know.

i agree,thats why i hunt away from other hunters in turkey when i am hunting grouse,IF I SEE THEIR VEHICLE.

i had my dog shot at last year or so for coyote,i even had collar bright lime on him.

the road hunter shot out the window with 22 cal at my dog.

friend of mine said that he was hunting rabbits and his dog went onto private property after rabbit.

he said owner came out of home and pulled up to shoot his dogs, he yelled and the ole fart went back into his home.

to me, shooting my dog is like MURDER and ole sproul still likes the ROOSTER COGBURN way of justice.

GET ER DONE!